Regretfully another season on Governors Island is coming to an end. The island became a public park in 2005 after the last vestiges of its role as a military defender of NY Harbor were shedded, and most of it has been opened to the public as a park. It is open throughout the spring and summer.
At the west end of Nolan Park on Governors Island is the Chapel of St. Cornelius the Centurion. The original St. Cornelius chapel was built in 1847 and became part of Trinity Church (Episcopal) in 1868. The chapel was razed after years of disrepair and the handsome new chapel constructed by Trinity Church in 1905.
According to the Book of Acts, Cornelius was the first Gentile to be converted to the Christian faith.