Built before the Revolutionary War (1740), the Epenetus Smith Tavern, 211 Middle Country Road in Smithtown, originally stood just west of the juncture of Middle Country & North Country Roads. This site was a popular stop on the Brooklyn to Sag Harbor stagecoach route during the 1770s, and during the Revolutionary War, the house often played host to British soldiers. Moved twice before in 1911 & 1921, it found its current destination in 1972 one half mile from its original location. While this structure’s oldest parts date to the 17th century, the main portion was built about 1740. The Tavern was also altered during the 19th and 20th centuries but has kept its Colonial integrity.