162nd STREET, FLUSHING

slice.162

162nd Street runs north-south in Queens, a bit here, a bit there, from the Whitestone enclave called Beechhurst south to Jamaica (oddly it never gets south of there, even though there’s plenty of real estate south of Jamaica). Between Northern Boulevard and 46th Avenue in the eastern reaches of Flushing, it’s a two-way main drag, with parking meters and storefronts.

When I moved into fab Flushing in 1993, 162nd was the main north-south shopping drag, with a Hallmark cards franchise, fruit stores, meat markets, two bars (three, if you count one around the corner on Northern) and a basically busy street life. I moved away from the neighborhood in 2007, and was surprised to see things have gotten a lot quieter since I left.

Flushing used to boast an Irish subpopulation, in the minority to be sure, but enough to make a presence felt. In the center, this pair of storefronts on Northern between 161st and 162nd was known as Bridie’s, whose soda bread was so good Mary Beth would squirrel some away to take home in her bag. It later became a Korean “hof” and now it’s been split into two busineses, one of which is a restaurant/bar.

162nd Street was bookended by two ancient and hoary taverns, the Velvet Cup near Northern and Paddy Quinn’s, near Sanford. Quinn’s is still hanging in, but a number of businesses have shuffled through where the Velvet Cup used to be. Sharp-eyed obsevers on the LIRR can still see the sign, which was removed and placed on the building’s roof. I have tried to get the American Sign Museum in Cincy to haul it away and should try again.

Morde’s Junk Shop Antiques is actually one of the few businesses on 162nd that’s not shuttered. The deli where I got newspapers and snacks is still open, on the corner of Station Road, along with a forlorn coffee shop and tobacconist, but they seem to be surviving on inertia alone.

One of these stores used to be my dry cleaners.

Bakery, hardware store, another antiques shop, all closed.

This used to be the fish store. Something is coming soon. The nearby  fruit store and drug store have moved elsewhere.

This was the butcher. While I was in the neighborhood it moved to a different location between 43rd and 45th Avenues, then closed after a few years. The local Grand Union became a Korean supermarket several years ago, but I imagine people get meat there now. There was always a vinyl awning sign, which recently was removed, revealing this wonderfully hand lettered linoleum sign that I’d guess was put there in the 1940s.

Kessler Signs, Sanford and 162, is still there as well as the corner weeping beech.

The big Tudor on the corner is home to Petrocelli Insurance as always.

Liquor stores rarely fail. Leiser’s, on the other corner, is a veritable liquor supermarket and is even doing TV commercials now.

Can we kiss 162nd Street goodbye or will it become the mecca it was when I first arrived in the 1990s?

7/18/2012

Categorized in: Forgotten Slices Tagged with:

80 Responses to 162nd STREET, FLUSHING

1. cb says:

When I was kid in the 1970′s and early 1980′s, my mom often referred to 162nd street as “antiques row”. There were at least 5 or 6 antique stores. Quality antiques, not common junk. Sad to see its all disappeared.

2. Heartland says:

As some classic author (Eugene O’Neill?) observed: “You can’t go home again”. Prior to my AZ exile in 2005 I would pass through this neighborhod every Sunday on my way to Church On the Hill. As late as 6/05 the are appeared to be thriving but in transition. Apparently the Era Of BO has transformed it into a wasteland like so many places in this faded glory nation. Hurry November.

• Dave D says:

Oh how true- you can’t go home again. I had an office around the corner (in the old bowling alley) and my grandmother lived around the corner on Sanford & 161st, (Pic of her house on FNY)

Remember? The Roosevelt Movie, Popeyes, Pizza Garden (up Northern a bit), the bowling alley, the saw sharpening shop with the big handsaw sign (was a diner once) , Finnochios bakery (great cannolis).

Now I’m just rambling. To make a long story short, it was a great place at a great time and I’m sorry to see what it has become.

• So sad, grew up there, 165 & 43ed, first job was at fiinnochios, I filled my share of cannolis, I loved it ! think I was 14 or 15 yrs old and worked there for a couple of years…. loved it !! I’m 57 now and I teach, I still tell my students about that job and how we had to use string to tie the boxes… then I worked at mapleways bowling ally, snack bar ….. loved it, the owners Manny & Bill were great and all my friends hung out there. well now I’m rambling.. LOL… and yes it was great, to see it now is so sad to me. but thanks for the memories.. :) )

• FRANK MALAFRONTE says:

I worked at Maplewaay’s Bowl, 163st and Northern Blvd., through high school and college from 1967 through early 1973. I did everything from pin chasing during leagues, painting, bartending, cooking, working the desk. I firrst worked for John Giordano who then sold to Manny Bologna and Bill Kelly. It was a great time and I had lots of laughs. Harry’s Bar and Grill was next door and Harry was an interesting character. Sal’s pizza was great neat the tressel. I had my first underage drink at Michael’s lounge on 162nd street off Sanford Avenue. It was a clean and spotless neighborhood. When I drive by now it makes me very sad. I am also sad when I drive by my old neighborhood near Flushing Hospital.Ppeople had pride in their homes. It looks rundown with bars on home windows. Nothing last forever except memories – thank God.

• Hello Frank
            It’ s been about 50 years since our last contact at St. Mary’s. Remember Johns candy store, Ryskinds, the German Deli, the Hobby shop ( before the Pizzeria) and Ray Fernandez, Dolph Chirino,and Peter Mihalick?
            c u in another 50.
            George Hennessey

• Jim Rogers says:

George Hennessey-There’s a name from the past, as is Frank Malafronte.

In addition to the stores you mentioned, remember John’s Pizzaria (spent lots of time hanging out with “my crew” (Paul Lahey, your aforementioned Ray Fernandez, my brother Tommy, Henry Cardozo, Dennis Carr and Eddie Testa (deceased.) I hadn’t thought of it in years, but Frank’s father (also Frank I believe) was a super friendly guy, known as the Mayor of 45th Ave. I hope all is well with you guys.

• Pat Coleman says:

Do you remember the small grocery store (owner was Andy) that was across from Amoruso’s on 45th.? Or Bill from the hardware store? My family moved to 45th. Ave. & 149th. St. @ 1954. So many changes. Moved to Elm Ave in 1971. Now, Florida. The neighborhood was so nice and clean back then…was a great place to raise children. Mine both went to St. Mary’s school, and still remain in touch with childhood friends.

• Pete DiMarco says:

Hi Frank- was browsing this am and came across your post- I dont know if you remember the name , but my father was Pete DiMarco- he also bowled at mapleways- I remember specifically that he bowled with you in a father/son tournament because I was too young to bowl at the time- had to be 50 yrs ago!– I saw the name and it brought back great memories!

• Jack Conway says:

Hi Jim George and Frank. What a flashbacks! Hope you all are well. Ray Fernandez joined the marines in H.S.

• Michael Pancheri says:

The failure of many of the older retail stores in the neighborhood is the result of both internet shopping and changing local demographics. You must evolve or eventually your business will wither and die. The neighborhood is still great. Crime is way down compare to the 60s-90s. Home values are up. Schools are better. Services have increased. It’s a great place to be and start a family. The one constant about NYC is change. Being nostalgic is understandable. Feeling sad in entirely different. There is nothing sad about a young, vibrant, safe, and affluent community.

• MARTIN says:

i also worked at Finocchio’s. 1966 to 1969. I was a kid. 13 to 16. My uncle Cosmo owned it. I would help in the back, and on the bread truck. Also filled cannolies. Yes the boxes were string tied. But they had an automatic string tie machine, that would sometimes get stuck. Progress!

• Cosmo Finocchio says:

Its nice to see even after we are gone over 20 years that people still remember us
        Cosmo Finocchio

• gee says:

how could we forget! I think it was the first job for so many in the neighborhood. I was introduced to the job by my friend Maddalena – she had the early morning shift counting and loading the breads for delivery and I had the slower afternoon shift restocking the trays and cakes. Mr. & Mrs.Sr. were the nicest people, but we were taught how to work from Mr. & Mrs. Jr. upstairs- they expected a job well done but could also forgive debacles like putting all the new cheesecakes away before they cooled- and often sent us home with bread or a pie. all of us were kids, but the characters were the bakers (and others) that kept us entertained while making the best Italian baked goods I have ever had. we worked hard for our $1.25 an hour, but the memories are still sweet.

• MARTIN says:

Finocchio’s bakery! I worked there as a kid. 1966 to 1969. My uncle Cosmo owned it. Yes, great cannolis, and Italian bread. Remember the moving and storage warehouse next store, before the bakery bought out the property?

• John Ghead says:

Sooo, this city’s (and nation’s) selling out the “Main Streets” of America over the past 40 years or so is all because of a President who has been in office 3+ years? Yep, that must be it.
      Damn that Wal-Mart and Home Depot! Wish “B.O.” never came up with that idea!
      Ugh…

• richie giacalone says:

it was thomas wolfe that said,,you cant go home…sorry

• Nicholas says:

The Obama Depression has killed off or wounded many local shopping streets. New Dorp Lane on Staten Island is among them. Stores lay vacant for years, and more of those gold buying places spring up. Same all over the country.

3. Larry Mac says:

I lived in the apartment building on the corner of 161st and Northern. On Sunday March 6, 1977 my son was born in the morning and my in-laws and I made first call at noon at the Velvet Cup on 162nd Street for a celebratory drink. Everything a man could want was within a two-block walk of my apartment, including an OTB.

I’ve been a Long Island homeowner for 34 years now but I loved that neighborhood, But lordy, how it has changed. Right across from the Velvet Cup was a small piizzeria whose name I forget. The pizza was no great shakes but Mama worked a small kitchen in the back and the Italian food was the best I have ever had.

• Julie says:

Was it Happy Days pizza? Or Fratelli’s? I grew up on 162nd St and 35th Ave. We still live in the area, but closer to Holy Cross HS now. I still miss Bridie’s!

• Jay says:

It was originally Happy Days, But turned into Tony’s which turned into Fratelli’s

• tom j says:

before happy days it was sals, from the late 60s too 70s

• EBZ06 says:

I remember it as Salerno’s – good pizza.

• Chas says:

I remember my Uncle Joe going to Finocchio’s bakery every Sunday
            morning for hard rolls and crumb buns. I would ask my dad if I could
            go downstairs and have uncle Joe make bacon and egg sandwiches and then a crumb bun to wash it down. God bless you Uncle Joe, I miss you Born 10/1944

• Barbara Mulrine says:

I grew up in that apartment building, too, but I was born in 1946. The building itself went up in 1941. My grandparents sold their house on 160 St. and moved in there after it opened. It was a great place to grow up. I moved out of the building in 1974 and spent a year in San Diego. When we came back, we got an apartment in a house near Memorial Field. I moved out of New York for good in 1991. I’ve been back several times in the past eight years or so ago, and I recognized all the buildings but didn’t know what they housed anymore. I can’t go back without seeing a lot of ghosts. I just drove down Northern on my way to Glen Cove. I had no idea 162nd had become such a mess. I see someone blamed the problem on Obama. It’s Bush and the guys who are in the pocket of Wall Street that have put cities into a mess. People had been fleeing them like mad in the past decades for the suburbs. It’s a shame because it is an historic area. My grandparents moved there in 1920. The only way to reverse it is to gentrify the area and have suburbanites move back into the city.

• tom j says:

it was sals mama and papaand son

4. John Ghead says:

Sadly, many of the main drags in Brooklyn and Queens are shuttering up. Have you seen 86th Street in Brooklyn up by Bensonhurst and Gravesend? Really sad to see so many business closing shop now, unable to compete with the big box stores. Even 18th Avenue is slowly dying.
    Ugh, the modern age…

• Michael Pancheri says:

The pictures were cherry picked for effect. Northern Blvd. from Main street east to Little Neck parkway has literally exploded with new businesses, buildings, and facilities in the last 15 years. Ditto Main street. It’s a dramatic transformation that speaks volumes about the positive aspects of change. I have been living in 11354 since 1981 and have chose to stay and raise my kids here even though I had many options elsewhere. It’s a fantastic place to be. Cheers.

5. dave c. says:

Sad to see this. My mom was a volunteer EMT and dispatcher with the Flushing Volunteer Ambulance Corps for many years, and their HQ was right there on 162nd Street. I used to buy vino at Leiser’s on my returns to Flushing to visit my family.

6. Gerry says:

A walk down memory lane. Grew up on 163rd around the corner from Martin’s park. Have had a few drinks in each of the watering holes. Bridies is definitely missed. You practically have to go to Bayside to get a burger and a beer these days

7. I always spent my half an hour to read this webpage’s content everyday along with a mug of coffee.

8. dave c. says:

Well, I just took a Google Earth tour of the one six two going from 46th south to Kissena Park and many of the original houses are still there and appear well kept up. Some Queens crap too but not a whole lot. The old houses are gorgeous, full of class and character. I imagine you had it made if you could afford to move into one of those just off the Park back in the day they were built.

9. ed says:

The fish store used to be B&B Sporting Goods in the 1970′s It was originally 2 blocks up and across the street on the corner of Northern and 162nd. Lots of fishing gear purchased there.

10. Elbern Ed says:

What a shame. The area around 162nd and Northern was really the hub of all activity in North Flushing, at least in the fifties. It’s painful to see what it’s become. I have a picture that was taken of the Bridie’s site in 1956, with the Memorial Day Parade passing on it’s way to Flushing Cemetery. Bridie’s was, at the time, the Boulevard Luncheonette (otherwise known as “DJ’s”) the local teenage gathering place. Got my 75 cent haircut next to the Velvet Cup and pizza across the street at Salerno’s. Great baked goods at Claus Bakery further down the street. Sad.

11. Howard Fein says:

The demographics in the Flushing-Broadway area have undergone huge changes over the past decade, from largely Caucasian to almost entirely Asian. Vitually every store along Northern Boulevard from the Flushing River through to roughly Utopia Parkway now bears signs in Chinese or Korean. As to the decline of 162nd Street, there was a lengthy construction project closing it to vehicular traffic on the crucial block between Northern and Sanford. So it could be that many of the businesses didn’t survive it,.

Guy R. Brewer Boulevard, n/e/e New York Boulevard, fills the slot of 162nd Street from Jamaica Avenue south several miles towards the vicinity of Rochdale Village. Many numbered streets in Queens are similarly under-represented. Ditmars Boulevard fills the role of 22nd Avenue through Astoria and into Jackson Heights. Lefferts Boulevard=119th Street. Eliot Avenue/Horace Harding Boulevard=61st Avenue. As a kid, I decided 6 is my lucky number and was very frustrated that 66th Avenue had a short run in Rego Park and Forest Hills, but completely disappeared through the Pomomok, Fresh Meadows, Oakland Gardens and Little Neck neighborhoods. A token piece was added in the 70s with the constuction of a townhouse development in Douglaston.

12. John D. says:

Wasn’t there a large factory/warehouse on 162nd, too, up until about a decade ago? I think the name began with an “A”?

13. Laura says:

I lived on 164th Street between 43rd and 45th Aves in the mid ’80s. I recall that on 162nd Street there were at least three businesses named “Queen Bee____.” Seemed like a mini-dynasty. I guess they’re all gone now too?

14. Roberto says:

I still visit 162nd st for the liquor store but as kids (34 now) we used to go there all the time for the DJ’ing shop and the Sorrento deli (friend’s dad owned it). Even get groceries at Milk Barn Farms. My mom still goes to the antique shop now and again to sell some stuff. I was lucky enough to visit the Velvet Cup once for a drink, place was f’ing cool.

15. ed says:

Stumbled many a night out of Popeye’s Pub(Nevin Bros FDNY owned it ) and across the street to the Queen Bee deli for a sandwich before I crawled back to my parents house. Weekend liberty was good in Flushing .

• Mary says:

My uncles were those FDNY brothers. The Nevins family of whom you speak had 12 siblings, 6 boys and 6 girls. Only half of them are left sadly. I just stumbled across this page, I’m not even sure how but it sure took me down memory lane. Salerno’s Pizza is called something else but is still there, next door, the coffee shop that has been there forever is still there, that is unbelievable how these two businesses survived. I lived on 161st, between 45th and 46th avenue. Remember the Kissena bowling alley, they used to have picnics in the back. Whimpey’s diner, I used to wash dishes there while in school at St. Mary’s, worked in Finnochio’s too and Bell Moving. How sad it makes me feel. I just lost my dad a little over a year ago, he was still in that little blue house with the giant christmas tree in front. Well I just drove over there to visit one of the original Nevins (12) and I passed my parents house. The tree is down, and a three family house is up. We got very little for the house, we were told it was in poor shape. New roof and new oil burner. Anyway, that house is now going for 1.3 million dollars, I wanted to throw up! I was hoping to end on a happy note. I’m glad I live in a place now that has that street in the middle of town with all the mom and pop shops and I try to buy everything there. You wouldn’t catch me in any Walmart on the face of the earth. Sorry for the rant.

• Susan says:

Hey Mary, This is Susan (Baeder) Bragg. A friend of mine, Paul Campadonico past this along and mentioned to look for your comment. It is very sad to see our old neighborhood the way it is now. I left in 1981 and moved to Nashville. Stayed for 20 years and currently live in Riverview (Tampa area), FL for the last 14 yrs. How are you and the rest of your family? I have one daughter and she has 2 beautiful little boys. Really love being a Grandma. It would be nice to hear from you.

16. Donna p says:

Grew up there. Remember it from the 50′s on, antique row, also wonderful bakeries, including our favorite Finocchio, hair salon, what we used to call a Chinese laundry on 45 th ave corner prior to Busy Bee, up until recently there was a remnant stained glass transom window there. Franconia Pharmacy named for the old name of 45 th Avenue, remember when the Anglers building was built, office supply, but can’t remember what was there before. Many private houses on the street at the time. Yes, awful construction has torn up the street at the tressel area twice during the last 2 years, killing businesses, the street impassible, no help for the businesses, months long closures. Fratelli Pizza still there, and Steve’s luncheonette. Remember when the Velvet Cup darkened it’s windows and became a topless bar, we were scandalized. Parades for holidays. A beautiful pet shop. An old fashioned Jewish owned clothing store. A fabric shop. There was also a church, don’t remember the denomination on the east side of the street, white and wooden. We would walk to Northern up 158th and then come around 162nd on the return trip. Two rival paint stores, Svend Kent on the corner still there, the other long gone by the Velvet Cup. My grandpa briefly owned the corner store, under the tressel, Big Eagle fruit and veg. It’s still a food store. 162nd was wonderful and one of the first places I was allowed as a child to walk to myself. Used to go that way to get to the McGoldrick library’s old location, where my sis worked as a teen.

• sotiris says:

My dad owns Steve’s coffee shop calling it a ” forlorn coffee shop ” is a slap in the face. It is open for over 30 years and will continue to be open. 162ND STREET is changing but it will be back I promise you that. A crooked politician decided to change the sewer line down 162ND street. The entire street was closed for over 2 years. That obviously affected business. Yes the demographics have changed but a few new businesses are starting to get established and the existing ones will continue to push through. I am too young to actually experience the Velvet Cup but I heard it was great. When 162nd street makes a comeback come by Steve’s for breakfast.

• Kevin Walsh says:

No disrespect intended…

• sotiris says:

No problem. The article in itself is very informative. There are many factors into why 162nd has changed. It is showing some signs of life.

• Colleen says:

sotiris — We were next door neighbors back in the day! (You and your brother were just little tykes when I moved away.) Just wanted to tell you I remember your parents, Andy and Maria, as the nicest, loveliest people. They were always so kind to my parents, who were much older than yours, and so friendly to me whenever I was visiting and we bumped into each other in the alley. I am so grateful to your mom and dad for being such caring neighbors and I’m so glad to hear these wonderful people are still in the area and still at the coffee shop — I’m not in NY very often but next time I’ll stop by! Please tell them they will always be 35 years old in my memory (: My very best wishes to you and to your family.

• tom j says:

the other paint store was petersons, next to the cup, steves is a fixture there I know andy and before him was his uncle steve, and before them a man named jimmy owned it, my mom worked there for many many years,as far as the cup, it was my last stop a fw nights b4 going home, when I was a kid we jumped up on the windows too sneak a peck , long live steves and 162street

• gee says:

memories! I worked at the coffee shop my last year of high school- and probably hold the distinction of being the slowest waitress Steve ever hired. Andy was the nicest person and I probably lasted the summer because I did my shift while steve took his afternoon nap. It was an interesting job because of all the neighborhood people that came in to eat- most of the shop owners on the street and some regulars. I drive through now and then to visit mother in law that is the last person I know that still lives in the area. it is a sweet spot for memories of a time it was a great place to grow up.

• tom j says:

the jewish lady was annie and abe and there was the sewing box across the street ,the son ran it for awhile, larry and mary

17. irene (pappas) says:

i grew up on 161st right off of Sanford Ave…before the liquor store was the drug store..then u had the deli with Mike, Molly, and Pete…down further was the candy store with Ruth and her son Lester..i dont remember the husband and her other son…Broadway Supermarket…Milk Barn..I’m trying to go down the block…lol…Steve’s Coffee Shop..i worked there 1975…lol..across the street i remember Cheap Charlies…i loved that place…and going back down towards Sandford was Dominic Bakery …the Meat store…with Mike….oh back up the street Velvet Cup…we used to love trying to peek in the window…ahhhhhhh good ole 162nd street…Mom just moved from that neighborhood and may i say just in time…it now looks like a slum area…i go to Flushing once a week to take mom shopping we hit Bj’s and Pathmark…mostly …but every now and again we visit Andy at Steve’s Coffee shop…and it really is depressing…Regal Pharmacy just closed down recently…very Sad….but they can not take the great memories that street holds in my heart.

18. Vern says:

My brother and I used to consider BB’s and Sports World sacred shrines back in the late 60′s, when sports was all we lived for. Flushing offered all the rest when we moved on to a different kind of sporting life. Paddy Quinn’s ain’t dead yet. My band, Terminally Blue, just played a gig there on 7/21. A lot of the remaining Irish contingent came out that night and we all had a great time. Doing it again on 9/29 and looking forward to going back. Come on down & put some life back into a still trying spot. Maybe a 162nd Street reunion?

19. John Volborth says:

My house was right there!! See? Right there where Vic Kessler now has , had, (he’s passed) a sign shop. Think his brother runs it now. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been up in that tree. That’s where I was when “the lights went out..”

20. fred says:

My uncle Sal had a barber shop on the west side of 162nd street, 4-5 stores south of 45th Ave. Franconia Drug store was on the corner. I remember as I received my haircut hearing loud pounding coming from the nearby store. I believe it was the butcher shop originating the sounds as they tossed around heavy sections of the meat to prepare it for customers. I was a kid of 14 years (1951-52) and my brother and I would ride our bikes to get a haircut from Uncle Sal. Sal lived in the rear apartment where he and his wife Rose raised 2 daughters and a son.

21. Denis Mullaney says:

I worked in ’63 and ’64 at Muller’s Boulevard Confectionary (ice cream parlor, candy making and lunceonette.)
    On Northern Blvd. under the LIRR trestle was B&B Gun and Ammo, then heading west Sven-Kent paint store, a beauty salon, Muller’s at 161-20 (both stores became Bridie’s), a coin and stamp store, a laundromat, Woolworth’s, Halperin’s candy store and the New Republic Chinese Restaruant. It was a great block filled with nice people. The store owners looked out and helped out each other. It was the starting place of many a young person securing their first job. We probable learned more about life and dealing with people than earning a degree from an Ivy League business school.
    This is a sad state of affairs but let’s hope the area makes a come back.

• Barbara Mulrine says:

Yes, Denis, I hope so. I remember you working in Muller’s. I have some old photos of the area going back to the 1950s, when we were kids. With cars on the street dating from the 1930s with running boards. Remember when cars were made of steel? I recently got hacked, and I’ve started longing for rotary dial phones!

• Hello Barbara, My husband’s family owned Mullers and I have been trying to gather information about
        it to record the family history. You mention that you have some photos of the area. If it is possible, we all
        would love to see them. If you were a customer at Mullers and have any memories about it, could you share them with us? Any and all details would be appreciated to build our family story! My husband was young at the time his grandparent’s Henry and Anna Muller and parents, Stu and Marge Stuart ran the operation and remembers bits and pieces. His sisters remember the Easter baskets of chocolate that they
        made up for sale and his brother remembers his dad mixing the ingredients for ice cream. Since you remember an employee there, you probably were a frequent customer and may have some interesting memories. Sincerely, Joanne Stuart

• Hello Denis – My husband’s family owned Muller’s Boulevard Confectionary and I have been trying to gather any and all
      information and photos about the store. My husband Don was the youngest in his family and remembers a bit of what his grandparents (and owners) Henry and Anna andparents, Stu and Marge Stuart did. We would be interested in every detail
      you might recall about working there…what the place looked like, what they served, who else worked there, what types of candy they made, the flavors of icecream, wages at the time, any funny stories, descriptions of Henry and Anna and any knowledge of their background and what ever else you recall. If you have any photos we would love to see them. I thought
      it was an interesting venture they persued and that our son and cousins would like to have a bit of their family history in place. I would have loved to found their recipes for icecream and chocolate to share with all!!! Looking forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, Joanne Stuart

• ElbernEd says:

Joanne – Just happened to be reading through these threads and thought I’d mention, I have at least one photo of Muellers, taken by my father, from the Studley Triangle during the 1956(?) Memorial Day Parade. I’ll be happy to email it to you – if we can figure out a way They probably won’t print email addresses here. Ed

22. Brian says:

Hey,

Does anyone remember the arrests at the velvet cup that led the evening news one night? I think it was a mob thing?

23. gee says:

my mom still lives in the neighborhood, so I have witnessed the neighborhood changing since I moved away in 1982. this has happened to nearly every Main St. but it has everything to do with 40 years of real estate bubbles that saw waves of old neighbors cash out and head to cheaper and warmer places. no stores can compete with the big boxes, and it was our neighborhood loyalty that kept so many people in business (Anita’s Corset shop? Saturday allowances spent at Woolworths (pop the balloon for your sundae prices) and the newest 45′s at the record store.) it is sad because I doubt anyone found a better place to grow up- it was just a different time. thanks for reminiscing- I recognize some names, but am also sure to have crossed paths with the rest of you- working at Finocchios, and Steve’s Coffee Shop.

24. Bobby Donovan says:

Just came across this website and reading all the comments brings me back. I grew up on 159st and Sanford, just remeber walking up and down Northern and 162 and being in all those stores. I moved out of Flushing in 84′ to long island but I still traveled back to finish my last year of high school at Holy Cross. Back in the 60′s and 70′s my whole family lived within 3 blocks of each other. My good friend who lived right behind me ( McNamara), parents still own the house on 158st. I have gone back a few times and I am almost to tears, wish we still had neighborhoods like that , it was a great place to grow up. I used to work at the Villa Bianca and my parents actually got married there in 1967. Going to the UA Quartet, saw Star Wars at the RKO Keiths. Miss it all, nothing will ever compare. Long live the memories of good old Flushing.

25. tom j says:

long live 162 street with all our memories past and present,from northern to 46th ave

26. Bill B. says:

There was no better place to bring up kids. Recognize some of the names from St. Mary’s Grammar school. Also , hadn’t heard anyone mention Michaels Lounge, Martins Park Handball courts. My wife, Linda P also worked at Finoccios Bakery before Eilleen i believe, is that eileen, Kevin Corbetts sister ?
    I lived on 161 street between 46 an 45 ave.
    No cell Phones, you left the house in the morning and your parents wouldn’t see you till Dinner time ! If they needed to find you they’d have to drive around the neighborhood looking for you, either at Martins fields, or playing softball at P.S.107 playground, Kissena Park .
    You’d have to learn how to speak Korean to live their now, i hear they call it Flu-shing now ! Oh well

• Jim Milano says:

Is that you Bill Baeder from 161st street. Marlene speaks of you often. This site sure brings us all back to a simpler time.

• Bill says:

Hey Jim,
      Yes it is I . How you Califorians doing , you all need to head back East with all the problems going on out there, weather wise. I’m still in touch with Marlene on occassion, we e-mail each other.Well Buddy , good to hear from you, to bad we couldn’t set up another reunion, i just looked at the video i have of the original reunion, GOOD TIME

27. Nick K says:

Wow! This HAS to be the Bill B I’m thinking of…lol We had a common friend in Fred Valis, also of 161st between 46 & 45th.
    What? no mention of KBA (Kissena Bowling Academy)?

• Bill says:

Nick ,
      Not sure which Nick, Kanderis maybe ? Well whoever, how are you ? I’m doing fine, Can’t stay on here right now, got a bunch of stuff i have to do, You have my e-mail, send me something and we can continue this discussion, later
      Bill B

28. Joanne Stuart says:

Hi Ed – What a surpise!! Thank you !! My family would love to have the photo!!! Are you registered with any photo sharing sites? Joanne

• Elbern Ed says:

Joanne, Sorry for the delay . . . I only just saw your reply. Actually, I do have an account on Flickr – but haven’t used it. I’ll post the photo there. Ed (gotta find it first)

29. tom j says:

was down 162 street sunday, while the bakeries, regal the candy stores, are gone, steves is still there,along with the pizza store and the liquor store, hopefully 162street can make a comeback , maybe not to what it was ,but a comeback just the same. you would never go without a drink, something to eat or your sweet tooth would never go without being full, , 3 food stores 4-5 bake shops, 3-5 pizza stores,2-3 candy stores, long live the memories, and hope for a sweet future ,no disrespect

30. OlderButWiser says:

There was a large deli on the corner directly opposite the Velvet Cup. 3 thugs attempted to rob the deli in the 1970′s. Some guy who was going o the deli for milk saw the shotgun toting robbers in the deli and ran to the Velvet Cup yelling to the bartender “Give me a quarter to call the police the deli is getting robbed.” Seems the entire 109 Pct. Detective Squad that had just gone off duty was in the Velvet Cup having a few beers. Did those 3 robbery suspects get the surprise of their lives when they exited the deli. The Detctives were waiting for them and it was like the gunfight at the OK Corral.