Though Hibernia Bank was acquired by Security Pacific in 1988 and has been long forgotten, its 1892 “temple bank” building [Albert Pissis, arch.] still stands proudly, if a bit worse for wear, at
Market McAllister and Jones Streets. Market Street’s diagonal orientation makes for many triangular intersections , where architects were able to be bold and dramatic.
In 1974, Patty “Tania” Hearst and the Symbionese Liberation Army invaded and robbed a Hibernia bank branch.
In this photo, note the faded ad and vertical “Hotel Boyd” sign.