WHAT IS IT?

queens.67

It’s on the curb on Queens Boulevard outside the exit for the 67th Avenue station. It’s quite old and must have some connection with the subway. I imagine it may one have held one of those stanchions with an illuminated SUBWAY sign on it, but that’s just a guess.

Categorized in: One Shots

21 Responses to WHAT IS IT?

1. Chris Lynch says:

Looks like a vent of some sort.

2. BB says:

McDonald’s first attempt at a drive-up window.

3. Rob says:

Not sure what it was but it now appears to be an oddly shaped trash bin.

4. ron s says:

Tomb of the Unknown Webmaster

5. Roger_the_Shrubber says:

Debris from a retreating glacier of the last ice age? Either that or Fred Flintstone’s TV.

6. Simon says:

it’s a water testing station.

7. Chris says:

Yeah,I’m from new york, actually from Island Park Long Island, but my DAD work for the new york fire dept, in the early 50′s and 60′s.He was employed at engine #9 (ladder) #9 He re-tired in 1970, move all of us to Inverness Florida were i started 3rd grade there and he died in october 15 th 1975. we had such a beautiful high ranch home on (believe it) Florida ave. in Long island.We use to go to Jones, beach a-lot.Now, both of my parents who were raised in new york are now dead-here in this FOR-SAKEN STATE.All most of my family has moved around to new jersey or where ever since 911.They all got out of new york, some are living and some are dead.I use to go to the fire house with my dad on L train from L.I. to the bowery where he worked……I was his little girl, and a thousand dollars he made a week kept four of us very happy in those day’s……..I miss him and the grunge of the city life. thanks.-un-happy in Florida.

8. queensbee says:

i too, was thinking of tomb of the unknown something or other. i kinda like fred flintstone’s tv, tho.

9. r185 says:

Tried google maps/images to get a bigger picture of the setting, but couldn’t find it. And, no McD shows up at QB & 67th Ave. ???

10. r185 says:

(Got cut off.) What store is this in front of?

11. Keith says:

Just a guess, ancient trolley pole base?

12. Lou says:

Are those “polka dots ” on the sidewalk all around the mystery object discarded gum spots?

13. Swampthing says:

Vent for toilet in subway station

14. Scott says:

You mean its NOT a public urinal? ut oh.

15. greg goodrich says:

This is not an artifact from the subway. I worked for NYNEX in the 80s and beneath this device is an old crossbar switching mechanism that goes way, way back, and this was the servicable interface, it was called the doghouse. It was actually off-limits for years due to an old contract with the US signal corp. I believe they are the NSA today but i am not positive. The government used to lease building space in this area and alot of the communication routed to servicable conduit to that doghouse. There used to be a cast iron door no longer visable in that photo. The only ones who had access to that doghouse was the signal corp. My only experience with that doghouse is driving by after work one day sheer from curiousity after seeing it listed on a classified subpoena that my name was on due to a technician below me having to replace some circuity in it in the late 50s, supposedly long after the signal corps presence. I didnt do field work, and i know it is hard to imaging from looking at that picture, but i know at one point there was very advanced circuity and cabling going into that location, in some cases similiar to technology we use today. I hope this helps.

Greg Goodrich