NIEDERSTEIN’S LIVES

niedersteins

Niederstein’s, the beloved German restaurant founded on Metropolitan Avenue near All-Faiths (Lutheran) Cemetery in the 1850s and razed for an Arby’s Roast Beef a few years ago, lives on as a scale model in the Enchanted Florist flower shop on Grand Avenue near Remsen Place in Maspeth.

Categorized in: One Shots Tagged with:

13 Responses to NIEDERSTEIN’S LIVES

1. Robert Bowrosen says:

I lived in the neighborhood of Neidersteins and ate there many times. Now, sadly an Arby’s??? Talk about now one cares for tradition!

2. Susan says:

That was a great restaurant and such a landmark on Metropolitan Ave. It was halfway between my 2 grandmother’s homes so we were always passing it. I’m glad I got to take my son there before they tore it down. Such a waste (and for an Arby’s!!!!).

3. RICHARD VOGEL says:

OH WOW This brings bacl memories

4. Ken B says:

Neiderstein’s was always a stop after interring or visiting a family member in one of the many neighboring cemeteries. As a kid I was always fascinated by the ancient system of belts and wheels connected the ceiling fans in the dining rooms to a motor that was somewhere far distant. It seemed so logical and so simple!

5. Sharon in CA says:

For my family as well.

I loved the ceiling fans and the smell of the white tablecloths and napkins and getting treated like a grownup. My sister and I both remember a big stuffed bear in the lobby when we visited back in the mid fifties.

6. steven says:

I pass the spot everyday on my way to work. I think it was a rest stop for travellers who rode the stagecoach many years ago. I was told the resturaunt did not want to close .

7. chris says:

That’s not the only German place the neighborhood lost. Gone is also Durow’s, Gebhart’s, Sammett’s and Von Westerhagen’s and who still remembers the Triangle Hofbrau?

• Ken B. says:

Back in the mid-70′s my friends and I “discovered” the Triange and frequented it often. We so enjoyed the dark on-tap beers and Limburger cheese and onion sandwiches on brown bread that it became a logical place for my friends to throw my bachelor party. During that party I was amazed when my future father-in-law told me that he and my future mother-in-law held their wedding reception in that same room in The Triangle while they were both on leave during World War II.

8. Ginny says:

I remember going to Neiderstein’s after the funerals. We also went one New Year’s Eve. The food was excellent.
    How could they tear down such a Landmark!
    So many memories at Neiderstein’s!

9. ron s says:

This is where it’s at in Queens–we lose landmarks and have 2 foot models to remember them by.
    Being replaced by Arby’s makes it even worse. Maybe we can replace Arby’s with a 3 story apartment with a concrete yard, no trees, and gas meters and air conditioners by the front door.

10. Mike Corcoran says:

I have reason to miss Niederstein’s. Not only did my family go there many times over generations, I had my wedding reception there. So after leaving Middle Village, I was shocked to see it had been replaced by an Arby’s.
    The story may have been a little more complicated, from what I heard. Please note: I said, “heard,” not, “know for a fact.” The foundation of the building was condemned as structurally unsound by the NYC Dept. of Buildings. The owners wanted to keep the original building as it was. Then, several politicians allegedly offered to make the problem go away for a small fee. The owners refused. The cost of repairing the foundation was prohibitive, and the owners were compelled to sell the property to somebody with the means to demolish and replace it with something structurally sound. An Arby’s franchise owner was looking for a local site and bought it.
    Rather than look at Arby’s for fault (as much as I don’t like Arby’s), maybe the fault lies with the last or previous owners of Niedersteins for not maintaining the building’s integrity. I’m speculating and don’t have an inside track, but this is based on information I heard. Make of it what you will.

11. Mr & Mrs says:

My wife and I held our wedding reception at NIEDERSTEIN’S, July 1988. Just celebrated our 25th anniversary. Was great, 30 people on a Saturday night listening to live bad, German music of course. Sad to see it was torn down.

12. Kevin Mehling says:

I have read the replies and the sense of sadness and lost is palpable. I grew up in Glendale and trips to the cemetery were always followed by a visit to Niederstein’s. I left NY in 2002 but my last time at the restaurant was in 2002. Now as we consider arrangement for my final visit to St. John’s, it is very sad to realize that the longstanding Comforter of families is no longer able to provide, for them, the solace of a reliable friend.