DEATH OF A FADED AD

shoes1

There was this grand old faded ad for a shoe shine place at the subway entrance/exit at 95th Street and 4th Avenue seen here. It could have gone all the way back to 1925, when the station opened. I last shot it on a ForgottenTour in Bay Ridge in 2005, but it survived several years after that.

This is what I found when I passed by today:

Sick transit, Gloria!

3/12/13

Categorized in: Ads One Shots Tagged with:

8 Responses to DEATH OF A FADED AD

1. Jeff M. says:

Does that look like it was an officially sanctioned mural that was later tagged, or was the whole thing a do-it-yourself project?

2. Bill Tweeddale says:

I used to see that ad throughout the mid-60′s when I’d take the 4th Ave subway to 95th St and catch a bus going over the “Gangplank” to Staten Island. I don’t recall ever seeing the shoe repair shop.

• Joe Fliel says:

The shoe repair shop was there when I had to take summer school classes at Adelphi Academy during the summer of 1976. Not because I was completely stupid, mind you. I contracted scarlet fever earlier that year and missed three months of school while attending Brooklyn Tech. :)

3. Joe Fliel says:

Typical. More urban cave drawings being palmed off as “art”. Sorry, Kevin; but, I’m not into fawning over what amounts to nothing more than badly drawn crap which looks like it was perpetrated by a group of seven year olds.

• Frank Lynch says:

What made you think Kevin prefers the change?

• Joe Fliel says:

I wouldn’t make any assumptions as to Kevin’s personal likes/dislikes. I was only referring to myself when I wrote that comment. One of the quirks of grammatical structure is that the writer’s intent is not always obvious when reading what amounts to thinking aloud. Pardon me, I need to refill my 32 oz. soda cup.

• Kevin Walsh says:

? I liked it the old way better

4. Marie M says:

I live close by and saw the ad twice a day on my way in and out of the subway. I actually sent Forgotten NY a few photos of the old ad several years ago. I was sad when it was painted over.