This black and white enamel sign in the 1st Avenue station of the Canarsie Line (L train) likely goes
back to the early days of the line back to the 1960s on the line, which opened in 1928. If the MTA wishes to point out neighborhood highlights in subway signage today, it does so with gray and white signs using the Helvetica typefont. This sign is hand lettered.
This is the furthest east station on a Manhattan crosstown line — the #7 Flushing Line stops at Grand Central Terminal, while the IND line under 53rd Street and the BMT line under 59th stop at Lexington. Further uptown, Kips Bay, an inlet of the East River, makes Manhattan a bit narrower.
Beth Israel Hospital was founded in 1890 and opened its 13-story facility on 1st Avenue in 1929.