SCHAEFER BREWERY, Kent Avenue, Williamsburg

hopskent

One of the few reminders of the old Schaefer Brewery on Kent Avenue and South 8th Street in the Willieburg is this sculpture of a raised glass and hops plants on the former brewery office, now a Jewish school. The brewery closed in 1976.

9/3/13

Categorized in: One Shots Tagged with:

17 Responses to SCHAEFER BREWERY, Kent Avenue, Williamsburg

1. Susan says:

A few of my uncles use to drive the delivery trucks for Schaefer. I still might have a few of the old round coasters they use to give out somewhere.

• Skip says:

In the 1960′s my Dad’s cousin also drove a truck for Schaefer’s Kent Ave brewery, and it was the only beer my grandmother and her sister would allow in their houses (which were side by side in Cypress HIlls). Drinking it kept him working, they said.

2. Dan says:

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth (and the Williamsburg brewery was still in business) an apartment-mate of mine had an ironclad rule about never skipping breakfast.

Each day, he’d roll out of bed to pour an ice cold Schaefer — he called it “suds” — into his morning bowl of Cocoa Puffs.

He claimed that it enhanced his prowess with the ladies, and gave him a Mensa-worthy I.Q.

3. therealguyfaux says:

The brand name still exists, even if the product itself is no longer a brand-name beer to be ordered in any bar in the Northeast, nor a generic down-market Milwaukee’s Best buy-by-the-suitcase kind of label nationwide, as it used to be. Stroh’s, its corporate parent in the 1970′s, apparently didn’t want to aggressively compete against the Anheuser Busches and Millers of the world as the big nationwide name brand beer, and they didn’t even push their own brand name that hard either, let alone Schaefer, in the Northeast. That’s why they probably downsized and closed.that brewery. Stroh’s was eventually bought out around the turn of the century by Pabst, which retained the Schaefer brand and produces the beer even today, but only as a niche product.

Not being a drinker myself, I have no idea how good the product is nor if it compares to the Schaefer’s of the “one to have when you’re having more than one” era. (Jeez, could you get away with a campaign like that nowadays, without complaints flying?)

4. Probably a Satmar school these days.

5. BEN says:

In 1974 I left Rheingold Brewery to get a Supervisors job at Schaefer Brewery on Kent Ave. I worked there for 2 years and was then relocated to the Schaefer Brewery in Allentown PA. Many of the men who worked for Schaefer relocated to Allentown. In 1981 Stroh’s bought Schaefer Brewery. A few years later Stroh’s bought the Schlitz label. They tried to go national and compete with Budweiser, Miller and Coors. They did not succeed. In 1989 I left Allentown and went to work for Budweiser. The old Allentown Schaefer Brewery is still there and they produce Sam Adams Beer.
    Of all the breweries I worked in, the Schaefer Brewery on Kent Ave. was the one I hold dearest to my heart. It was a sad day when the Brewery closed and a big loss for New York.

• jan says:

MY FATHER, ED BOGENSBERGER, WORKED AT THE BROOKLYN PLANT FOR ALMOST 25 YEARS, THEN LANDED UP IN ALLENTOWN. HE LOVED WORKING IN BROOKLYN, HIS BROTHER, JOHN ALSO WORKED IN BROOKLYN BUT THEN TRANSFERRED TO MARYLAND. IF YOU KNEW HIM LMK

• BEN CUSUMANO says:

YES, I KNEW ED BOGENSBERGER. I WORKED WITH HIM IN BROOKLYN AND IN ALLENTOWN. I WAS A SUPERVISOR AND ED WORKED FOR ME MANY TIMES. ED WAS A GOOD MAN AND AN EXCELLENT WORKER. I DO NOT REMEMBER HIS BROTHER JOHN, I GUESS BECAUSE I ONLY WORKED TWO YEAR IN BROOKLYN.

• Millie says:

Hi Ben,

My name is Millie…
        By any chance, do you remember my father ( Philip Vega)?
        He also worked for Schaefer beer, during the 70′s. If you remember him, can you please contact me? I’ve been searching for my father for over 23 years. It’s been hard for me to find him, since the company closed it’s doors in 1976 :-( I don’t know where he went to work, afterwards.

Thank you!
        Millie
        Jssgkids6@aol.com

6. Frank says:

Seeing this post reminds me that there used to be a brewery on Staten Island–Piels beer, I think

7. I posted some photos of the huge tanks that was being hoisted into the Schaefer Brewery building on Kent Avenue in Brooklyn in March 1947. I thought you would enjoy this awesome engineering feat that it took to get the tank into the building. Do you know if the tanks were removed and when. If so are there any photos of them being taken out?

Just cut and paste the following in your browser and it will take you to my blog were it is posted.

If this does not work just go to: http://robtnar.wordpress.com/
    and look under Americana and it should be the last post.

Enjoy.
    Robert Naranda

8. Gbear says:

I worked at the Brooklyn navy yard for Seatrain shipbuilding in the early 70′s. Watched many barges being off loaded into the brewery. .

9. Joe OLeary says:

My dad worked at Schaeffer in Brooklyn for over 20 years, I finally got to see the building this year.