GLENDALE ’22

1922glendale

I’m not ready to post regularly yet, till I get a machine of my own, and I may have to lean heavily on my archives for awhile.

Here’s a piece of a 1922 Hagstrom map of Queens, showing Glendale. Though the numbering of Queens streets began in 1915, it happened neighborhood by neighborhood in a gradual process. It could be that Glendale was the last to make the switch.

How many of these streets have retained their old names and were not numbered?

12/4/13

Categorized in: One Shots Tagged with:

13 Responses to GLENDALE ’22

1. Glendale John says:

I grew up on Montague Ave.in the 50′s and 60′s and the principle mode of transportation was walking. I’d walk all over the place and soon discovered the topography which lead to learning the reason Glendale is between to “knolls”. Learned they were deposited during the ice age which lead to getting a degree in Earth Science. Say Kevin is ther any chance that you could publish the entire map of Glendale with the old street names? Thanks

2. Ray says:

Always wondered when and how they made the switch. (I’m in LIC / Hunters Point end). Did they just say ‘OK on May 1, 1917 your address changes.”?

3. Bob Sklar says:

Can you scan in the entire map, or make it available elsewhere? As to your question, on the map above, only Myrtle, Cooper, Central and Metropolitan Avenues are likely to have retained their names.

• Kevin Walsh says:

I can’t scan the entire map. This was done at NYPL a few years ago in their map room. They can’t scan the entire map on a drum scanner because of the ancient condition of the map, so I was left to aim my camera at selected pieces of it laid out on a table.

• Dan says:

Do you have a photo with the right side of the map more centered? Hannah is my daughter’s name, she loves maps and we live in Glendale, so I’d love to make a print of that portion of the map for her.

4. Alan Gregg Cohen says:

Actually, in comparing a current day Google map of Glendale, it appears very few streets retained their original non numbered names, and they all happen to be east to west (or conversely west to east) running Avenues. They are from north to south; Metropolitan Avenue (which is mostly in Middle Village today on the section of the 1922 Hagstrom map showing Glendale); Cooper Avenue which is the eastern extension of todays Central Avenue east of todays 73rd Place (formerly named Proctor Street in 1922); Central Avenue east to 73rd Place where it today transitions into Cooper Avenue; and lastly Myrtle Avenue whose name remains unchanged.

5. FNY Fan Skip says:

You can see the “I” for Indiana Avenue on the map between Ridgewood and McComb Places. Indiana never intersected Myrtle, although Hagstrom’s for many years showed it as such. Also Luther Rd, south of Cooper Ave between 69th Street and Place. I found Edsall Ave on a 1909 map, but not in its current spot, but rather 70th Avenue. Edsall is basically now the continuation of 70th Avenue that fronts the southern side of the LIRR Montauk branch. All these examples are also east-west streets.

6. Dan says:

On the right side of the map is Hannah and Isabella streets. Can anyone tell me what those streets are now? I thought Hannah might be 88th St, but I can’t get a good sense of bearings on the map.

7. Jan says:

I grew up on another street that has retained its name…Margaret Place. It is only two streets long and is east of the intersection of Woodhaven Blvd and Union Tpke.