75 Hudson Street, south of Franklin in Tribeca, was grand when first built in the mid to late 1800s, with its Corinthian columns on the first floor. But it looks like it’s hearkening back to Tribeca’s indifferent days of the 1960s when Tribeca was a gritty manufacturing and importing neighborhood, with residences that were hardly posh and not a fancy boutique in sight.
Every building in NYC has a story. In the late 19th and early 20th Century 75 Hudson was home to the offices of John Campbell & Co., importer and manufacturers of intermediates and dyestuffs, or chemical compounds used to make dyes. The company had a huge plant in Newark, NJ and was fairly well-known in its day, selling products under the name Camel Dyes. The company was acquired by American Cyanamid in 1938.