JERICHO TURNPIKE McDONALDS, New Hyde Park

jericho.mcdonalds

The Denton name is prominent on the Nassau County atlas. Richard Denton, a British Presbyterian minister, immigrated to the New World in 1630 and, along with his son, Daniel, was among the founders of the town of Hempstead. A family descendant, Joseph Denton, built a farmhouse  in 1795 on what would be 2045 Jericho Turnpike in New Hyde Park, just west of Denton Avenue.

The Denton House was renovated in a Georgian fashion into what approximated its present appearance in 1860, when a number of additions and ells appeared. After World War I it did time as a funeral home and it supported several restaurants. However the Denton Mansion fell on hard times and by the mid-1980s it appeared to have a date with the wrecking ball, when McDonalds acquired the property and made plans to raze it.

However, the town of North Hempstead and the village of New Hyde Park prevailed upon the corporation to renovate the building instead. While the interior was gutted, a grand staircase leads to a dining area on the second floor, and a glassed-in veranda makes a unique fast food experience. The Denton House was landmarked in 1988.

Have I been inside? Nope, but, of course, Scouting NY has.

Is it the most unusual McDonalds in the NYC area? Perhaps, but there is one on Broadway in the Financial District that features a piano player tinkling the keys above the front entrance.

8/10/14

Categorized in: One Shots Out of Town Tagged with:

11 Responses to JERICHO TURNPIKE McDONALDS, New Hyde Park

1. Tal Barzilai says:

When I took classes at Adelphi University, which isn’t too far from this location, I used to eat at that McDonalds a lot of times.

2. srenco says:

It’s nice– they saved it and renovated it– the outside shell may be the only original elements however. The inside is all plastic McDs. I grew up down the road in Bellerose. During the 60s and 70s this was an elegant steak house-restaurant. Fireside Inn, or something like that.

• Kevin says:

I remember it as a steak house, too. However, I think the Fireside was across the street somewhere. I recall it being in a storefront not too far from a fire station. I really liked their strip steak.

3. NY2AZ says:

In the ’90′s the Roy Rodgers on Northern Blvd in Bayside featured a grand piano. It was mobbed on Saturday evenings: diners enjoyed chicken, roast beef, & salads while their children played in the ball box, & all were entertained by someone playing that piano. Eventually Roy’s was acquired by Wendy’s & this RR franchise morphed into a Chinese buffet (I think). Gloria sic transit munde.

4. Joseph says:

I think it was called The Charred Oak

5. Reminds me of the Starbucks in Howard Beach.

6. MR says:

I think it was the Charred Oak Manor, not Inn.

7. Now imagine if the old Niederstein’s in Middle Village could have been preserved in such a fashion by Arby’s. too much to ask for, I suppose. Good to see Lundy’s in Brooklyn survive architecturally.

8. Pat says:

In the 70′s, and probably earlier, it was the Charred Oak Manor. Very good food. My parents used to take me there & to the John Peel Room in Westbury.