FLUSHING, QUEENS 1968

Besides the mini, I notice: the old RKO Keith’s neon sign; the Bus Stop sign with a picture of a GM Fishbowl; two old-style bus route map signs; a police call box indicator lamp; a mailbox painted blue with red stripes; and Belgian blocks at the Northern Blvd and Main Street intersection. All have disappeared, or greatly changed…

photo courtesy Facebook group Did you grow up in Flushing NY?

10/29/14

Categorized in: One Shots Signs Tagged with:

13 Responses to FLUSHING, QUEENS 1968

1. Donald Hector Estes says:

You forgot to mention that all the signs are in English, not Chinese.

2. Jeff B. says:

Hmmm, I think I have one of those old Bus Stop signs buried in my garage.

3. Fred Mayer says:

Brings back lots of memories. I stood on that corner many times waiting for the bus. If memory serves, the young lady is looking at the Nedicks on the corner. Saw many movies at the RKO and a Jerry Lewis stage show.

4. steve says:

Took me a moment to recognize the Police Call Box sign as inititally I mistook it for a painted ad on the theater (saw Star Wars there during its original run). Is that a fat luminaire “above” the call box sign?

5. NY2AZ says:

I love this photograph. The young lady is “dressed for sucess”; suddenly I’m looking forward for next season’s “Mad Men” episodes.

6. srenco says:

Would be great to have a picture from the same spot today to compare.

7. zoso says:

at that coner was a nedicks /i waited for my bus after piano lessons upstairs music shop/i took q14 home or ate a hot dog and orange soda and walked home,we where so safe/and i saw last of three stooges at that RKO.they went to the moon/when flushing was fun…………

8. Ross Coe says:

One other lost item – behind the young lady, a Pontiac Tempest.

9. simon says:

I remember belgian blocks in the area around 82 to 84 , as well as island parking to left of the woman pictured. Saw top gun debut at the keiths 86 . Those fishbowl signs , around flushing made it well into the late 90’s especially over by kissena.

10. ExLIer says:

It’s much less crowded…and the woman isn’t even Asian!!!!