BY SERGEY KADINSKY
Forgotten NY correspondent
The Willett family plot is the only remaining reminder of Spring Hill, a vast estate that became a cemetery in 1893. The plot is surrounded by Mount Hebron Cemetery and can be seen near the entrance on the south service road of the Horace Harding Expressway just east of the Van Wyck Expressway.
Only a single tombstone remains standing, that of Elizabeth Willett, wife of John. The stone appears to date back to 1723.
Colonial governor Cadwallader Colden was buried on the estate but his exact gravesite is unknown today. The last owners of Spring Hill was the Durkee family. The house burned down in the 1930s.
There’s much more on the Colden house and the Spring Hill estate on this FNY page.