Captain Henry Hogg Biddle’s grand mansion at 70 Satterlee Street was built on the water’s edge between 1840-1845 in a Dutch Colonial style with unusual two-story porticoes. At the time, Biddle operated the ferry between Tottenville and Perth Amboy, NJ (the ferry was in operation until 1963). Note that the front and back of the house are designed the same, with four large Doric columns.
The house is now owned by NYC and is part of Conference House Park. Biddle’s grove, a summer resort on the northern part of Biddle’s Farm, was established in the early 1850s.