By SERGEY KADINSKY
Forgotten NY correspondent
Central Park is the least forgotten park in the city, but within it are numerous items that are off the public radar. One of them is the 25-foot Green Gap Arch, located near the southeast corner of the park. It is the only arch in the park that is not open to the public.
Formerly part of a bridle path, it later served as the western entrance to Central Park Zoo following the zoo’s expansion in 1934. Presently, the space beneath the arch is used for storage.
In the original park plans, the bridle path extended to the southeast section of the park. Presently, the bridle path terminates near Pine Bank Arch. The section running beneath Green Gap Arch was de-mapped prior to the 1934 renovation of the zoo.
The interior is used for storage at present.
For information on the other bridges of Central Park, visit the comprehensive Bridges of Central Park page from 2001. The historical 1895 photo is from the collection of Museum of the City of New York.