Staten Island has several land-anchored active lighthouses (Brooklyn and the Bronx have one apiece). The Staten Island Lighthouse, built on Edinboro Road in Lighthouse Hill near Richmondtown from 1907-1912 and operating since 1912, is one of Staten Island’s architectural treasures.
In its early days, the lighthouse keeper kept oil-powered pumps going to operate the lens. Horse-drawn carts needed to make the arduous climb up the hill, whose difficulty was exacerbated by snow and ice in the winter. Today, a 2nd order Fresnel range lens it acquired in 1939 sends a beam 18 miles into Lower New York Bay that lines up with the West Bank Light off South Beach. It is run by the US Coast Guard today and is now fully automated.
In 1912, the New York Times wrote that the Staten Island Lighthouse was “destined to take its place among famous beacons of the world, such as Eddystone Lighthouse, on the Eddystone Rocks, about fourteen miles from Plymouth, England.”
For much more on this part of town, which includes the only private residence in NYC designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, check this FNY page.