Barely discernible at this point on a garage wall on Patchen Avenue between Putnam Avenue and Madison Street is an ad for B.F. Goodrich tires. The company was founded by Benjamin Franklin Goodrich in Akron Ohio (once known as the rubber capital of the USA) in 1870.
Though Goodrich to this day is known for auto tires, the company got out of the tire business in 1988, when it merged its tire and rubber business with Michelin. Today, Goodrich Corporation focuses mainly on aerospace and aeronautical manufacturing.
Photo: Gary Fonville