FORGOTTEN NY TOUR SCHEDULE 2018

These programs are supported by public funds from the NYC Department of Cultural Affairs; additional support is provided by the membership of the Greater Astoria Historical Society.

Tour dates and locations subject to change. All tours run approximately 2-and-a-half hours unless noted. Note: MTA train schedules on weekends, as well as tour dates, are subject to change.

All tours cost $15 for Greater Astoria Historical Society members, $20 for non-members.

RSVP for whichever tours you wish to attend to info@astorialic.org or Kevin Walsh at erpietri@earthlink.net or kevinjudewalsh@gmail.com. However, walk-ups are always welcome.

Sunday, June 24 –Astoria Park, Queens — Meet at Astoria’s “triangle building” at Astoria Boulevard, 21st Street and 27th Avenue; if arriving by public transit take N train shuttle bus to Astoria Blvd and walk 8 blocks west, or take the Q18, Q19, Q102 or Q103 routes.

We will take a look at the history and lore of what is arguably Queens’ most beautiful park, take a look at classic infrastructure like the Triboro and Hell Gate Bridges, discuss the sights on Wards and Randalls Island, talk about some of the structures surrounding the park, and throw in a bit of Astoria Village, too. You will have great opportunities for bridge photography!

Sunday, July 8 — Cypress Hills/National Cemetery/Neir’s TavernBrooklyn/Queens — Meet at Norwood Avenue and Fulton Street at the elevated J train stop, 12 noon.

We will take a look at National and Cypress Hills Cemeteries along the Brooklyn-Queens “Cemetery Belt” and then venture into western Woodhaven across the undefended border of Brooklyn and Queens, where several historic and picturesque sights await, then finish with lunch at historic Neir’s Tavern, which celebrates its 189th anniversary this year.

Sunday, July 22 — West Village, Manhattan — Meet at the southeast corner of Varick and West Houston Street at the Houston Street stop (#1 train), 12 noon, route TBD

Sunday, August 5 — Corona, Queens — Meet at the 103rd Street/Corona Plaza station of the #7 train in the public plaza, 12 noon; route TBD

Sunday, August 26 — Richmond Terrace, Staten Island — Meet in front of the Staten Island Ferry terminal in lower Manhattan (#1, R train) at 11 AM; we will get the 11:30 boat. Staten Island residents, meet us in front of Staten Island Borough Hall at Richmond Terrace and Bay Street at about noon. Route TBD

Sunday, September 16 — Brooklyn Heights — meet and route TBD

Sunday, September 30 — College Point/Poppenhusen Institute — meet and route TBD

Sunday, October 14 — East Village, Manhattan — meet and route TBD

Sunday, October 28 — Eastern Green-Wood Cemetery/Windsor Terrace — meet and route TBD

Categorized in: Tours

24 Responses to FORGOTTEN NY TOUR SCHEDULE 2018

1. julie says:

hi i am living in arizona not by choice and miss far rockaway and all the fond memories of the old boardwalk sallies pizza and fascination and skee ball and tuckee cup does any one remember they served chinese food in a chinese noodle bowl so u could carry it back to your beach blanket oh the memories .. i am concerned about all the trash i see every .. why doesnt any one pick it up its looksry bad for people who want to visit long island thank u i know hurricane sandy was beyond words and the clean up is still going on today even with all its problems id move back today

• NY2AZ says:

Most recovering NYers (& other east coast refugees) in AZ are here by choice & enjoy life here. Their memories remain intact but the present day realities of their birth states have lead them to embrace necessary change. Get over it & respect AZ.

• Chris says:

Maybe she has a sick relative. Why are you so sensitive about someone who would rather live in a different state? I’m sure Arizona is fine but I bet you secretly believe AZ is a boring, culture-free dump and you’re jealous of everyone who is living a great life on the east coast. You’re pining over the east coast otherwise you wouldn’t be on this great site. Every state in America is beautiful. I respect AZ I just don’t respect sad residents of it like you imagining insults where there are none.

• NY2AZ says:

Dear Chris (clueless in NY):

You’re not omniscient so you don’t know what I ” secretly believe”. If you were as tolerant as you pretend you wouldn’t post this. Thanks for tipping your hand & proving my point that what makes coastal life (the west coast is just as bad) so insufferable is folks like you, who love humanity but don’t get along with people. Reread my original comment again & apologize.

• Stringer says:

Yeah all the lady did was say she missed home and isnt all to fond of where she is. Kind of funny how that guy got bent out of shape over it =p

• NY2AZ says:

Even funnier that 4 months after the original postings you’re “bent out of shape” by my comments despite my explanations.. BTW: I’m amazed at the lengths you hipsters go to invent silly emoticons like =p (sticking your tongue out? – so clever), If you would put away your I-Phone you might be able to see what America really looks like.

• Stringer says:

Its the digital version of get off my lawn! Do you do bookings for birthday parties?

• Nunzio says:

Well-said, NY2AZ!

I left NY 16 years ago….but didn’t go where all the other NYers/East-coasters go. I moved to a very rural county (1 traffic light in the whole county) and have acreage and negligible cost of living, and I’ve never looked back. Life is amazing and has never been better. I have good memories of NY from 35+ years ago, but I find it hard to even enjoy this site anymore, as I now find NY so repulsive.

Those who are looking to recreate what they had or have in NY, will be disappointed no matter where they go. Those who are ready to embrace something better and different, can make pretty much any kind of life they choose to if they pick a place which suits them.

2. Phyliss says:

Arizona is beautiful due to the mountains & colors.
    My mother once said ….if you move to ax or fla you might as well know you are not coming back by car or by plane seat. You come back in a box!
    So she lived in nyc u til 98! God bless my mom!
    She was the best

3. Tal Barzilai says:

I just want to know if you actually have to RSVP for any tours or if that’s optional. Also, I want to know what is meant by walk-ups welcomed. Does this mean that I can just show up and join the tour if I want to just as long as I agree to pay for it? I’m only asking this so I can know what I have to do for this. One other thing, is there usually a limit to how many can join any of the tours making some of them at a certain capacity?

• Kevin Walsh says:

Walkups welcome means anyone can walk up at the start of the tour, hand over your money and be on the tour. I have a hard time handling more than 45 or 50 but that rarely happens.

4. Joel says:

I have a feeling most if not all x-pats outside NYC would move back in 3 heart beats(I would if time travel was perfect)and return to the Brooklyn of the Dodgers..but you”” go home again””and for what reason you left(career/taxes/health,etc)and the grey still can recall the “”good/bad/ugly””!!!I left for my $$$$ health and will never look back..Im not in Az but close…miss the ocean but then that’s why airplanes were invented…be happy were you are and be greatful you still grey cells that still work…remember the good times cry about the bad and hung your wife and kids were ever you are,any port in the hurricane!!!!!

5. BobK says:

Some years ago, a proposed FNY tour schedule included a visit to The Bronx’s vast Woodlawn Cemetery. Then, as I recollect, something went wrong with FNY’s computer, and the chance to pay our respects to Admiral Farragut and Jimmy Walker had to be cancelled. Yet Woodlawn remains a worthy counterpoint to Greenlawn, which our favorite website has toured several times. Is there any chance we might commune with its patient denizens in 2018?

• Kevin Walsh says:

Would love to do Woodlawn, but they insist on their own guides doing the tours and I think they STILL have some official antiphoto rules.

6. Michael Schwenk says:

please consider doing more tours in the Bronx, as this area is mostly unknown, as opposed to forgotten, to me.

7. John pressman says:

I thought the May 6 your was of the upper West side. Did you change it it one of the 1964-65 world’s fair?

8. brian mcmanus says:

Great to see the Marine Parkway Bridge, which I took during my journey into Brooklyn to attend High School. The tours mentioned are truly awesome and been to every location. Great to be from NYC and after spending two years in hell on earth, Arizona, can’t beat the NY beaches and people. Love Florida and my hometown, NYC.

• NY2AZ says:

Really? AZ is a friendly place but your typical east coast attitude probably tested the limits. Enjoy the taxes, the tolls, the chronic corruption, & all the other things that have caused massive blue state out migration. Each day I see more & more NY & NJ license tags but when I lived in NYC I never saw an AZ tag. After 13 years I know why. Too bad you can’t couldn’t change your “NY State Of Mind”.

9. NYC SEO says:

Another great website find. Even though I’ve lived in NY my whole life, I haven’t seen half the things people see on the tour. Might have to do this.

10. Alan Gregg Cohen says:

I left New York by choice almost 40 years ago. I enjoy this site for the memories it brings. However it also shows the vast changes that New York has undergone and unfortunately as I see it not a lot for the better. It makes me sad to see the overbuilding of my native Northeastern Queens and the general loss of it’s suburban environment. I have compared New York to London and the outer boroughs of New York to the outer boroughs of London. London as New York, has undergone tremendous demographic changes in that it is a very multi cultural city much like New York. The big difference between New York and London has to do with zoning and historic preservation. Where New York has upzonized many of it’s outer borough communities and allowed the destruction of many a communities’ historic fabric, conversely London has preserved it’s village like and garden city suburban character of it’s outer boroughs, and carefully guided more dense development at village and town cores to carefully complement the existing environment. It’s an example of the poor and sad urban planning policies of New York. I am glad I have my memories, and that photographic documentation exists to show the city that I remember, and no longer exists.

11. Helene says:

I am seeking someone who does tours in Ridgewood. I grew up there and am returning in august and would love to do a walking tour of the neighborhood….onderdonk ave up to fresh pond road area. Is there a person that is knowlegable and does these I can contact?