FORGOTTEN NY TOUR SCHEDULE 2018

These programs are supported by public funds from the NYC Department of Cultural Affairs; additional support is provided by the membership of the Greater Astoria Historical Society.

Tour dates and locations subject to change. All tours run approximately 2-and-a-half hours unless noted. Note: MTA train schedules on weekends, as well as tour dates, are subject to change.

All tours cost $15 for Greater Astoria Historical Society members, $20 for non-members.

RSVP for whichever tours you wish to attend to info@astorialic.org or Kevin Walsh at erpietri@earthlink.net or kevinjudewalsh@gmail.com. However, walk-ups are always welcome.

FNY’s 2018 tour schedule will be published early in the new year!

Categorized in: Tours

12 Responses to FORGOTTEN NY TOUR SCHEDULE 2018

1. julie says:

hi i am living in arizona not by choice and miss far rockaway and all the fond memories of the old boardwalk sallies pizza and fascination and skee ball and tuckee cup does any one remember they served chinese food in a chinese noodle bowl so u could carry it back to your beach blanket oh the memories .. i am concerned about all the trash i see every .. why doesnt any one pick it up its looksry bad for people who want to visit long island thank u i know hurricane sandy was beyond words and the clean up is still going on today even with all its problems id move back today

• NY2AZ says:

Most recovering NYers (& other east coast refugees) in AZ are here by choice & enjoy life here. Their memories remain intact but the present day realities of their birth states have lead them to embrace necessary change. Get over it & respect AZ.

• Chris says:

Maybe she has a sick relative. Why are you so sensitive about someone who would rather live in a different state? I’m sure Arizona is fine but I bet you secretly believe AZ is a boring, culture-free dump and you’re jealous of everyone who is living a great life on the east coast. You’re pining over the east coast otherwise you wouldn’t be on this great site. Every state in America is beautiful. I respect AZ I just don’t respect sad residents of it like you imagining insults where there are none.

• NY2AZ says:

Dear Chris (clueless in NY):

You’re not omniscient so you don’t know what I ” secretly believe”. If you were as tolerant as you pretend you wouldn’t post this. Thanks for tipping your hand & proving my point that what makes coastal life (the west coast is just as bad) so insufferable is folks like you, who love humanity but don’t get along with people. Reread my original comment again & apologize.

• Nunzio says:

Well-said, NY2AZ!

I left NY 16 years ago….but didn’t go where all the other NYers/East-coasters go. I moved to a very rural county (1 traffic light in the whole county) and have acreage and negligible cost of living, and I’ve never looked back. Life is amazing and has never been better. I have good memories of NY from 35+ years ago, but I find it hard to even enjoy this site anymore, as I now find NY so repulsive.

Those who are looking to recreate what they had or have in NY, will be disappointed no matter where they go. Those who are ready to embrace something better and different, can make pretty much any kind of life they choose to if they pick a place which suits them.

2. Phyliss says:

Arizona is beautiful due to the mountains & colors.
    My mother once said ….if you move to ax or fla you might as well know you are not coming back by car or by plane seat. You come back in a box!
    So she lived in nyc u til 98! God bless my mom!
    She was the best

3. Tal Barzilai says:

I just want to know if you actually have to RSVP for any tours or if that’s optional. Also, I want to know what is meant by walk-ups welcomed. Does this mean that I can just show up and join the tour if I want to just as long as I agree to pay for it? I’m only asking this so I can know what I have to do for this. One other thing, is there usually a limit to how many can join any of the tours making some of them at a certain capacity?

• Kevin Walsh says:

Walkups welcome means anyone can walk up at the start of the tour, hand over your money and be on the tour. I have a hard time handling more than 45 or 50 but that rarely happens.

4. Joel says:

I have a feeling most if not all x-pats outside NYC would move back in 3 heart beats(I would if time travel was perfect)and return to the Brooklyn of the Dodgers..but you”” go home again””and for what reason you left(career/taxes/health,etc)and the grey still can recall the “”good/bad/ugly””!!!I left for my $$$$ health and will never look back..Im not in Az but close…miss the ocean but then that’s why airplanes were invented…be happy were you are and be greatful you still grey cells that still work…remember the good times cry about the bad and hung your wife and kids were ever you are,any port in the hurricane!!!!!

5. BobK says:

Some years ago, a proposed FNY tour schedule included a visit to The Bronx’s vast Woodlawn Cemetery. Then, as I recollect, something went wrong with FNY’s computer, and the chance to pay our respects to Admiral Farragut and Jimmy Walker had to be cancelled. Yet Woodlawn remains a worthy counterpoint to Greenlawn, which our favorite website has toured several times. Is there any chance we might commune with its patient denizens in 2018?

• Kevin Walsh says:

Would love to do Woodlawn, but they insist on their own guides doing the tours and I think they STILL have some official antiphoto rules.