WALKEN’S BAKERY, Astoria

I did a Forgotten NY tour in October 2017 and had to make a detour around this stop, so I’ll do it here. Paul and Rosalie Walken opened a bakery at 29-13 Broadway in Astoria in 1931, and the business thrived for several decades. The family had three sons, Kenneth, Ronald and Glenn, and purchased a house in Bayside. The three sons had the showbiz bug and made their way to early TV soap operas such as The Guiding Light and Secret Storm. However, while the other two sons went on to other endeavors the youngest, Ronald, met with the most success. Changing his name to Christopher, he became a major Hollywood actor and dancer, appearing in The Deer Hunter, Biloxi Blues, Pennies from Heaven, Pulp Fiction and many more. Rosalie passed away in 2010 at the age of 102.

In this New Yorker article, Walken discusses his Astoria roots.

Walken’s Bakery survived until the 1980s after moving next door to 29-17 Broadway. Today, a hardware store occupies the site.

Check out the ForgottenBook, take a look at the gift shop, and as always, “comment…as you see fit.”

10/16/17

Categorized in: One Shots Tagged with:

11 Responses to WALKEN’S BAKERY, Astoria

1. Cathi Mytko says:

My Polish ancestors had a bakery, during the same time period, not too far from there. It was called “Old Reliable Bakery” located at 193 150th Street, Jamaica, Queens.. It was owned and operated by the Mytko family.

2. Ken Buettner says:

From the early 1970’s until they closed, I would regularly stop at Walken’s in the morning to pick up baked goodies for my office’s coffee breaks. I remember them fondly.

3. Anonymous says:

My mother was a good friend to Rosalie and Paul Walken. When I was born, my mother named me Rosalie, after her dear friend.

4. Janice says:

As a kid in 1959, I grew up by Queens Plaza. Every Saturday my mother, me, and my two sisters walked over to Broadway, with our shopping cart, to do our shopping. The Walken Bakery was our favorite stop and we always went home with a pie or a loaf of fresh sliced bread. This tradition, of many years, is one of my fondest childhood memories.

5. Dennis says:

My mother and sister both worked at Walken’s Bakery. The Walken’s were a very nice family to work for and they have fond memories of that time.

• Barbara says:

My favorite cake of all was one that was, I believe, made with ground walnuts in a loaf pan. It had one layer of raspberry jam & a dusting of powdered sugar. How I’d love to have that recipe!

6. Anonymous says:

What a great bakery!! My mother Anita worked with Lydias mother, and I at 16 worked there and worked with Ronald (Christopher) Walken. That was a very nice family!!@

7. Jay black says:

I was friends with the sons.
    Chris (Ronald) was jealous of
    Me because I could act and played several musical instruments he was always
    Looking to argue and not talk
    To me. One day he broke my
    Guitar which resulted in me
    Hitting him till he cried like
    A little girl. But after that his
    Family paid me for the guitar
    And I promised not to hit him.
    He now is my friend and respects me for as he knows
    There could be a smack in his
    Face anytime.

8. john martin says:

Their chocolate covered Cowbells were the best,,,,