Playmates Arch, along with the Dairy, the Carousel, the Zoo and the Chess & Checkers House, is in a part of Central Park once formally designated as the Children’s District. Its distinctive yellow and red bricks and beige voussoir blocks gave it the nickname “tri-colored arch.”
It is one of Central Park’s oldest decorative arches, built 1861 to a design by Calvert Vaux and Jacob Wrey Mould, made of pressed brick with granite trim.
Playmates Arch has one side of its original railing remaining; the other side is a reasonable facsimile from 1989.
From: Bridges of Central Park