THE CANDY MEN

peaksmason

A very large painted ad on a corner factory at Henry and Middagh Streets proclaims Peaks Mason Mints, and is the former home of the Mason, Au and Magenheimer Candy Company. According to advertisement researcher Walter Grutchfield, the company was in business here between 1892 and 1949 and was founded by confectioners Joseph Mason and Ernest von Au in 1864.

In actuality the sign is a bit misleading since there was no such candy as “Peaks Mason Mints”; there were Mason Peaks and Mason Mints. Mason Peaks was a coconut-chocolate combination (like Mounds) while Mason Mints was a chocolate-covered mint patty (like today’s Peppermint Pattie). Mason also made Dots, a fruit or cinnamon-flavored gumdrop, and Crows, a licorice-flavored gumdrop. Both are still distributed by Tootsie Roll, which acquired Mason in 1972.

Categorized in: One Shots

10 Responses to THE CANDY MEN

1. Edward says:

The way the sign is it looks like there could be more on the other side making it make sense- two signs running together wrapping around the corner of the building.

2. Old Skool says:

I like the Brooklyn Daily Eagle sign on the building in the foreground. What do you think Mr Webmaster/Typesetter?

3. donald franck says:

My Grandfather, Charles Haug, ran the Mason Mint company from the early 1900′s to when it was sold in the 1950′s. Our family acquired the controlling interest in the shares from the original owners who started the company. I miss the Mason Mints and Black crows but still buy the candy DOTS from Tootsie Roll who eventually acquired the company.

• amey says:

I am doing the family tree for Herbert E Haug’s grandson! Herbert is Charles’ brother!
      Pls email me so we can correspond!

• Richard says:

Amazing. Looks like I just found a cousin. My grandfather was Herbert Haug, Charles Haug’s brother!
      Herbert was president in the late 50s until sold to Bayuk Cigar and then to Tootsie Roll.
      Donald, please contact me at tpoto@optonline.net.

• Lin says:

I am actually using Mason Mints in a poem. Grew up with them. A favorite. (Didn’t know of the Black Crow connection.)

4. francoamerican says:

I am sixty-eight years old. As a child I distinctly remember the pleasing and minty taste of the Mason Mints candy bar. They were delicious and great to eat. They were more substantial then the present day York Peppermint Patties.

5. Barbara Baldwin says:

I am 76 yr old and grew up eating MasonMints !! Lved/Love them. Where can I go (store/candy shop to Purchase Mason Mint??