COSMOS

pele

From a construction site in Red Hook, Brooklyn.

In the 1970s and 1980s, the New York Cosmos of the North American Soccer League (1971-1984), like baseball’s New York Yankees, had the financial resources to sign the cream of the crop of the world’s best soccer players.

A new Cosmos franchise is in the works for Major League Soccer.

Categorized in: One Shots

17 Responses to COSMOS

1. ron s says:

For you true soccer fans–just prior to the Cosmos, New York had the NY Generals (sponsored by General Tires). NASL was one of the many failed attempts to establish soccer in the US. The league, and the Generals, were characterized by old semi-retired European players, very young new players, and generally low level play. The CBS announcer was English and would often exclaim things like “bad pass, that was a very bad pass”
    Curious if anyone in the forgotten fan base was at their games with me. (They were a terrible team but I loved the games)….

• Mark says:

The New York Generals certainly fall into the category of “Forgotten New York.” I followed the league and went to a few games at Yankee Stadium. Their top player was Co Prins.

2. AlC says:

The great Pele !

To watch him with a soccer ball was to watch a true magician.

3. Keith says:

Just goes to show you, we can acquire the best talent in soccer in the world and no one here in the USA will watch it……

4. roger_the_shrubber says:

Saw them play on Randall’s Island. The stadium reminded me of a Roman ruin.

5. Pat says:

“From a construction site in Red Hook, Brooklyn.”

Not sure I understand that comment. They never played in Red Hook. They played their first year at Yankee Stadium, and later Hofstra, then Downing Stadium & then the new Giants Stadium in NJ.

6. Joel Frid says:

My father took me a number of times to see the Cosmos including Yankees Stadium and Giants Stadium. One time, the year Cosmos were playing at Yankees Stadium, we went to see the Cosmos play at Shea Stadium which was great because I live(d) in southern Flushing. That particular week, Yankees Stadium was not available so they moved the game to Shea.

7. Edward Findlay says:

The Cosmos are still at least two to three years away from joining MLS, until they get a stadium deal going they aren’t joining the league anytime soon.

8. roger_the_shrubber says:

Giorgio Chinaglia just died I heard.

9. ron s says:

Another great memory of Downing–this was for the early Cosmos on TV ( I believe it was after the Generals (described above). The gane was being shown on network (CBS?) but the field was really decrepit–hard packed dirt and dying grass. To make it appear better on TV, they painted some of the dirt green.
    Truth is stranger than fiction…