34th in TRANSITION

tad's.horton

It’s one era of fast food giving way to another. The rubber steaks of Tad’s, shot through with teeth-jarring gristle, have surrendered to the prefab pizzas of Pizza Hut and the maple donuts of Tim Horton’s on 34th Street.

Update: I’m told something completely new is moving in, and Pizza Hut ¬†and Horton’s are moving out too.

8/23/13

Categorized in: One Shots Tagged with:

7 Responses to 34th in TRANSITION

1. John Sterbenz says:

I have never set food in a Tad’s, but if their exterior signage is to be believed, there apparently used to be one in my hometown of Detroit, my much-closer-than-New York surrogate-in-a-pinch of Chicago, and my visit-every-year-city of Cincinnati.

For all my trips to New York, I’d never seen the 34th St. location. If it were near 34th and 7th, I would have had to walked by it. I’ve been intrigued by the one on Powell St. in San Francisco (still open as of 4/2013) and perhaps the NYC location that must have existed in Times Square. As of my last bit of searching in April, getting any information on the (former) Detroit or Chicago locations was fruitless.

2. Mike says:

Pizza Hut and Tim Hortons actually were in the same building as Tad’s. They all closed.

3. Jon says:

I think they all closed, actually. I remember the Pizza Hut being open next to Tad’s there for several years. The same corner featured the Riese Restaurants Millennium Countdown clock in the late 90s.

4. Tal Barzilai says:

At least I was able to go to one of their locations when it was still around, which was the one over at 47th Street and 7th Avenue over in Times Square.

5. RM says:

I’ve never been to Tad’s, but remember the signage since youth. sayonara!

6. Linda says:

Used to eat at Tad’s back in the late ’60s-early ’70s. It wasn’t the best, but it was fun! Used to work in Macy’s so this was the nearest restaurant.

7. Pat O'Rourke says:

I remember Tad’s and would dine their on payday. That and another site of questionable cuisine was The Blarney Stone Bar and Steak House. Although you could both eat and lace up and run down the street in the meat they served it was a unique experience for a 14 year old working his first job in Manhattan (Arnold and Constable across from The 42nd. St. Library)