WHERE AM I?

where_am_I_1.8

If I were here 20 years ago, I might have gotten arrested.

Categorized in: One Shots

18 Responses to WHERE AM I?

1. Mike says:

Fort Totten

2. Alan Gregg Cohen says:

Agree with Mike. The view appears to be taken from Fort Totten looking northwest towards the Throgs Neck Bridge.

3. J. Lincoln Hallowell says:

Looks like the view from Fort Totten, looking west toward the Throgs Neck, and Whitestone Bridges..

4. Paul Otterstedt says:

Fort Totten in Queens, overlooking the Throgs Neck Bridge?

5. NY2AZ says:

Powell’s Cove Rd looking across the Sound at Ft. Schuyler? (I have no idea why anyone would have been arrested there in ’94)

• NY2AZ says:

As Max Smart used to say: “Missed it by that much”. Now I get it. However, 20 years ago wasn’t Ft. Totten open to the public as a park? Trespassing may have been an issue once, but probably not 20 years ago.

6. Gbear says:

We used to go fishing on the Brooklyn side when Ft. Lafayette was still there.

7. bernie says:

I was there 40 to 45 years ago in the Army Reserves, and felt like I was under arrest.

8. Tom Walsh says:

“Little Bay” just west of Fort Totten looking at the Throgs Neck Bridge. I was “escorted” out of Fort Totten more than a couple of times in my youth. The old fort, now an attraction, was a derelict ruin. In other words, worth walking miles and traipsing around slick boulders at the bay’s edge (at low tide only) to sneak in. The coolest place on earth, or so we thought.

9. LB says:

Little Bay Park, outside Fort Totten

10. dave c. says:

I cheated and used Google Earth Street View to confirm the above. Fort Totten.

11. Bill says:

Merchant Marine Academy Kings Point.

12. Ken says:

FT Totten became a public park in 2005. Prior to then, it was off limits to unauthorized personnel. BTW, I live close enough that when I do my walks, it’s the best place to get that accomplished. Except for the FDNY. It’s a ghost town.

• NY2AZ says:

Thanks for the clarification. Somewhere in the recent past didn’t the Coast Guard want it as a base but ultimately set up shop on Governor’s Island? And wasn’t there a proposal to develop it as a high end condo? There are things I miss abvout Queens but the local politics aren’t among them.

13. Dave says:

You might have been arrested if you went down the road abit on the Cross Island. There was a hill where all us terrible hippies (i mean a hundred or more at a time) hung out and smoked weed there.

• Dave says:

BTW, it was a bit more than 20 years ogo, more like 45 years ago. The good old days in Flushing/Whitestone/College Point