LOFT’S CANDIES, Downtown

When an awning sign was removed at 86-1/2 Nassau Street between Fulton and John Streets, a neon sign for Loft’s Candies was revealed.

The first Loft’s candy store was opened by British immigrant William Loft in 1860, with his son George Loft gradually opening more branches in NYC in the 1890s. Production was centered in Long Island City, expanding to ten office buildings and factories at Vernon Boulevard and 40th Avenue. Loft’s acquired  Pepsi in 1931 — you read that right, they acquired Pepsi, forming PepsiCo.

lofts2

Most businesses have a shelf life, as it were, and Loft’s was fading by the 1980s, with only 40 locations, and all had closed by the mid-1990s, including the one I remember, at the busy corner of 5th Avenue and 86th Street in Bay Ridge.

Photos: Vincent Losinno

11/26/16

Categorized in: One Shots Signs Tagged with:

15 Responses to LOFT’S CANDIES, Downtown

1. Marilyn says:

I just saw this today and took the same photo! So nostalgic. I posted it on FB. Thx for the history, too. Love it.

2. Ronnie says:

There butter crunch was the the best! Covered with chocolate and nuts….no one did it better.

3. Sheila says:

My grandfather worked at Loft’s. They had a mocha cream cake I loved. Have not found any to match it’s taste.

4. Vicki says:

My Mom loved Lofts candy….her favorite was Butter crunch . It was the best……I think the store was either in Jamaica Long Island or Lynbrook

5. Jacqueline Winslow says:

My father worked as a porter at Lofts in Getty Square Yonkers during the depression. He always spoke well of the job and community there.

6. There was a Loft’s Candy at 41 Park Row, the former New York Times building, at the turn of the last century. It was located next door to Lipton’s Cafe (formerly Times’ Cafe), one of the most popular newspaper hangouts of the era before Prohibition closed it. O. Henry, Don Marquis and other celebrated journalists made it their home away from home.

7. Stacey Loft says:

Im the great great Granddaughter of the owner of Loft Candy. I have never been able to taste any since it does not exist anymore, but reading these comments makes it worth it knowing other people got to enjoy it. I am trying to find out more about my past and the Loft Candy Company so if anyone knows anything that will help me please let me know.

8. Anonymous says:

Was the building originally a theater before it was Loft’s? Possibly a bank?

9. Anonymous says:

Was the building originally a theater before it was Loft’s? Possibly a bank?

10. Anonymous says:

They had the best chocolate covered marshmallow eggs at Easter time and have never found any that come close. Often wish I had that recipe.

11. Great stories, history & comments!
    I believe my grandfather, Joseph Stallone, owned one or more Loft candy stores in Brooklyn when they came over from Italy in the early 1900’s. thanks for sharing.

12. Anonymous says:

I loved Loft Parlay Bars. So sad they went out of business.