It’s something of a miracle that a truck hasn’t run it over, but this one-of-a-kind Twin still stands at Amsterdam Avenue, Hamilton Place and West 144th in upper Manhattan.
The base is more ornamental and heavier than any other remaining Twin. At busy or important intersections, lamps with “busier” bases were installed in the golden age of lampposts (1900-1930). The only blemish is the two 1980s-era bucket lamps that replaced these Cups. Come on, Department of Transportation, install some contemporary retros here.