The forlorn remains of the tug Philip T. Feeney can be found at the source of Port Richmond Avenue just north of Richmond Terrace at the Kill Van Kull. This isn’t an extensive ship graveyard like the one found in Rossville on the island’s south shore, but somehow one abandoned wreck is more poignant than dozens of them.
The Feeney was built in 1892 by the Bethlehem Steel Company in Sparrows Point, MD. Originally the tug, at first called the Germania, worked the Erie Canal. Originally built with steam power, it was retrofitted with a diesel engine in the 1940s. It has been abandoned here since the 1990s.