Here’s a remaining trolley pole at Atlantic Avenue and a Brooklyn-Queens Expressway exit, just west of Hicks Street. It once had a partner across the street and electric cable was strung between the two poles that transmitted power to trolley cars plying this route. Here, trolleys served the #15 line , bound for Broadway in Williamsburg, as well as the #28, bound for Erie Basin in Red Hook. The #28 was discontinued in 1944, while #15 was discontinued in 1951.
Soon after that, the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway was bruited through the waterfront area. The wire and most of the poles were removed, but somehow this pole survived, joining a few dozen of its fellows around town.
In the ensuing years, it’s served admirably as a traffic sign mount, and more recently, has served to carry promotional banners.
Please help contribute to a new Forgotten NY website