WOGAN TERRACE, Bay Ridge

by Kevin Walsh

March 2019 marks Forgotten New York’s 20th anniversary. To mark the occasion, I’ve re-scanned about 150 key images from the early days of FNY from 35MM prints. In the early days, when people including me were accessing FNY with dial-up modems, I had to save photos really small — in some cases, just 4″ across. I couldn’t find all those early photos — I think I foolishly discarded some along the way — but all month, and into April, I’ll be picking out some and showing the newly scanned versions.

Today’s image is Wogan Terrace, a pleasant dead end on 94th Street opposite the south end of Gelston Avenue, just east of 5th Avenue. It’s completely lined with pleasant attached Tudor-style houses. Bay Ridge is peppered with dead ends and one-block streets of this type such as Bay Cliff Terrace, Madeline Court and this one. It appeared fairly early on — it shows up on this 1929 Belcher Hyde atlas.

I must admit, I’m stumped about the origin of the name. It could be a portmanteau or combination word if the site had two developers. On the other hand “Wogan” is a British surname; Terry Wogan had a popular talk show on the British TV network BBC1 in the 1980s.

If anyone has a definite origin, shoot it to me in Comments.

Check out the ForgottenBook, take a look at the gift shop, and as always, “comment…as you see fit.”

3/1/19

8 comments

Peter March 1, 2019 - 12:27 pm

Hasn’t changed much as of last June. What’s amusing is that both your 1999 photo and the camera car’s pass-by both were on Garbage Day.

Ron S March 1, 2019 - 7:30 pm

A similar style house is found in many places in Astoria, although they are usually 3 stories. They are essentially row houses with varying “tudor-ish” or european style fronts that repeat every 3-4 houses. Check out 32 street and 29 street in the 21st ave. area.

Renée March 2, 2019 - 1:24 pm

Kevin,
Thanks for 20 years of preserving our history!

Edward March 3, 2019 - 7:36 am

The closest I could find was that there was a Thomas F. Wogan (1862 – 1949), Deputy Chief Register of Kings County and a longtime Democratic Party activist and leader in the Bay Ridge area. The houses were advertised in 1928 as new, and while I couldn’t find a direct reference naming the street for Thomas Wogan, the street was developed right during the time he was active.

Chris March 4, 2019 - 9:14 am

Terry Wogan is no less than an icon of British broadcasting, who presented the BBC Radio 2 breakfast show for decades as well as hosting his TV chat show and the national ‘Children in Need’ charity event. So powerful is his legacy that the building in London from which many BBC Radio programmes are broadcast is now called ‘Wogan House’ in memoriam.

Jamal Taylor March 4, 2019 - 12:27 pm

The Taurus in the foreground had me trying to remember if I’d ever parked on to that block. Same color, and a similar sticker on the left side. The trim is different though.

Vince P. March 6, 2019 - 9:57 am

The homes remind me of the ones in Woodhaven/Forest Hills area. The ones in the crescent roads to nowhere.

Anonymous March 17, 2019 - 8:57 pm

Terry Wogan started out in Radio !