FORGOTTEN NEW YORK IS STILL HERE

by Kevin Walsh

The first week of April saw the fewest updates since the terrorist attack on September 11, 2001, after which I took a break for a few weeks; I wasn’t in the mood.

Fear not, I have not been stricken by the coronavirus yet, and don’t intend to, since living alone for 38 years, “social distancing” is second nature to me. The reason updates lately have been few is because I purchased a new computer (iMac) in November 2019 and it’s been nothing but trouble, running slowly and balkily, so much so that I couldn’t get any work done. I tried reinstalling the OS twice, to no avail. I’ve decided to let it be a glorified paperweight for now, until a semblance of normality returns and I can take advantage of the year’s warranty and bring it in for servicing.

What’s more: I bought a used Panasonic Lumix camera recently and I just can’t get it to focus when zooming. (The computer was refurbished from Best Buy; I’m never trusting Best Buy again).

Now, the old machine has its problems. Its OS is too old to accept new versions of Word and Photoshop but the older versions run just fine on my old machine from 2013. Now and then, it decides to type periods uncontrollably no matter what keyboard I use; but unplugging and rebooting seems to solve that at least temporarily. If anyone has a solution (I’d rather not monkey with reinstalling the OS) let me know in Comments.

I do think I’ll avoid really lengthy posts for awhile for that reason, but posting should become more regular in the short run.

If my condition changes, I’ll update from this page.

Check out the ForgottenBook, take a look at the gift shop, and as always, “comment…as you see fit.”

4/4/20

28 comments

Joe Fliel April 4, 2020 - 1:38 pm

Glad to hear that you are fine, Kevin. Get a damn Windows laptop, ferchrissakes!

Nirmal April 4, 2020 - 10:14 pm

Completely agree!

Renee Neumann April 4, 2020 - 3:52 pm

Thanks for your perseverance, Kevin!

Andy April 4, 2020 - 6:33 pm

The most important thing is that you are well. Thanks for sharing. We will all get through this. Like you I have lived through the 1960s assassinations, Watergate and Nixon, 9/11, and Superstorm Sandy. Plus I’ve had some personal challenges I won’t mention. It’s a very significant chapter in our lives, but we will survive. Keep up the good work with FNY.

Nunzio April 4, 2020 - 8:42 pm

Solution? Yes; Switch to a Linux OS. Seriously.

Kevin Walsh April 5, 2020 - 4:13 pm

Macs use Linux

Nunzio April 5, 2020 - 8:52 pm

No, the Mac OS’s were based on a Linux like OS- but are proprietary and all gunked up. Put a light (real)Linux OS on your old ‘puter, and it’ll run better than new…and all the software is FREE!

Ed Findlay April 6, 2020 - 12:19 am

They are Unix, not Linux. Both Linux and Apple’s OS family are Unix systems but Macs don’t use Linux. There’s a difference but you aren’t looking for a change in operating system and likely don’t want to relearn a lot of things that you’d have to learn due to using a new operating system…

Nirmal April 4, 2020 - 10:17 pm

In these tough times, we need you Kevin! You help us remember the New York we r used to, and preserve the New York we love for the future. Glad u r ok n u keep going! I hear u about the social distancing. I love nyc but i don’t mind all of the social distancing. Some is a little extreme, some is refreshing. I’m finally getting to do cleaning that was due ages ago!

redstaterefugee May 13, 2020 - 10:45 am Reply
redstaterefugee April 5, 2020 - 11:24 am

Try a Dell which uses the Widows 10 OS which will frequently automatically update itself. As an option choose Dell Support Assist which you can use daily to fine tune the computer (& it takes less than 20 minutes). If things go seriously wrong ( a rare occurrence you can easily reach them by phone ( human will answer) & if necessary will make adjustments through remote access. “Try it, you’ll like it”.

Kevin Walsh April 5, 2020 - 5:55 pm

Never comfortable with Windows.

John from Sydney May 5, 2020 - 7:34 pm

A computer expert friend once told me that Microsoft programs were the worst ever made, apart from all the others.
My experience has confirmed this.

Ron S April 5, 2020 - 2:13 pm

During the pandemic with the health and economic crises, it is helpful to have small moments of enjoyment-liking checking out Forgotten NY each day.

Kevin Walsh April 5, 2020 - 5:54 pm
John Shea April 5, 2020 - 7:45 pm

Kevin, Stay well, we need you.

ROCCO BUTTOFOCO April 6, 2020 - 3:56 pm

Glad you are well, I was getting worried. You are my only connection left in NY, with most of my NY relatives either passed on or moved out of state. Thanks for your hard work and remember this too shall pass

Fuged Aboudit April 7, 2020 - 1:38 pm

Glad to hear you’re OK! You, as you are to many here, are our last connection to a pre-gentrif****d New York! I’m your age, native Brooklynite & also lifelong non-driver who, like you, started exploring Brooklyn by bike around 1968 or so, with the Hagstrom spiral bound,5 Borough Atlas as my guide.

I’m no longer there; like my friend the quartermaster of the sadly now shuttered VFW post on 22nd Street said to me a few years back, whilst grousing to him about the changes: “WAKE UP! IT AIN’T OUR BROOKLYN NO MORE!”

I left shortly after that. He was right.

Andy April 13, 2020 - 4:03 pm

Have you tried a new keyboard? I had a problem with a keyboard once, just plugged in an old one I had lying around from who knows when and it’s worked ever since (am typing on the old bugger right now).

Kevin Walsh April 14, 2020 - 10:36 pm

I tried two keyboards and the issue persisted. However, booting off, unplugging, and restarting seems to have solved it for now.

HELENE R SPIERMAN April 14, 2020 - 1:46 am

I’m new to this site — Very grateful to you for maintaining it!
I agree with you about Best Buy. But I think the key is that it was refurbished. Very risky, no matter what the appliance/device… usually.
I’ve been a PC person all my computer life. But once someone gave me a very lightweight Mac laptop to use, and I fell in love with it. But it cost a lot more than the average PC.
Anyhow, I’m not a fan of Windows 10, but my 2008 Dell desktop Windows 7 has run out of support, so I’ll have to customize the Windows 10 laptop I got 3 years ago.
I wrote you an e-mail message about Dahill Road a couple of minutes ago.
All best to you! *See* you soon!

Tal Barzilai April 14, 2020 - 11:20 pm

I just hope that this pandemic won’t do too much to cancel some of the Forgotten NY Tours that will be coming up in the next few months.

Jonathan April 16, 2020 - 11:59 am

We love you, Kevin!

Big Ed April 18, 2020 - 1:22 pm

FNY forever!

Luis Salcedo April 18, 2020 - 11:42 pm

I’m glad you’re alive and kicking! I hope to join you in one of those Forgotten NY Tours!

Terry Varnfield May 12, 2020 - 8:40 am

Just found Forgotten New York – what a great site! Just started with the Lower East Side post, wonderful. I often google odd NYC buildings I find in a book or online – the Brevoort Hotel being most recent but your site is a real treasure trove.

Jonathan Persaud May 14, 2020 - 5:03 pm

Hey Kevin, Im a IT tech and know what the problem is with your iMac if its the model with the Hard Drive and not the Solid state. Can’t believe apple still sells those. Anyway as a thank you for your website im willing to upgrade the imac for free as a thank you. my email is jonathanpersaud55@gmail.com if you would like to take up the offer.

Heidi Lagano May 21, 2020 - 1:29 pm

Hey there, just came upon Forgotten NY and absolutely love it.! Born in NY, moved away 15 years ago, and come back often to visit. Looking forward to taking a tour next trip in, so glad to find fellow kindred spirits! Stay well, and see you soon.