COLLEGE POINT, Queens, Part 2

CONTINUED FROM PAGE 1

The Vogt family still occupies the house at 13-17 123rd that forebears built in the 1850s. College Point by Victor Lederer

Its neighbor at 13-11 123rd is rather less recognizable. It was built by Jacob Salathe, superintendent of College Point’s Openhym Silk Mill. Pretty much all its Eastlake Gothic detail has now been eliminated. College Point by Victor Lederer

The grandest of 123rd Street’s survivors occupies its very own traffic roundabout at13th Avenue: the red-bricked, dormer-windowed Grand View Hotel, built in 1853 as Herman Schleicher’s mansion. Schleicher supported the South in the Civil War, and ran guns to the Confederates. It later became the Grand View Hotel (its elevation permitted views of the East River and Flushing Bay) and later became divided into apartments.

Remembering the Koenig-Baker mansion

In the mid-1800s, Frederick Koenig, a German banker and a partner with Conrad Poppenhusen, built a large, wood-framed, hip-roofed mansion with a wraparound porch colonnade at where 120th Street north of 14th Avenue would be. After Koenig returned to Germany he sold it to another German businessman, Frank Boker. The building underwent several uses, as Jocker’s Hotel, Gerlach’s Academy for Boys, and the College Point Club. The short driveway to the mansion from 120th Street was named for him. The mansion became a hotel, the College Point Clubhouse, was divided into apartments, all the time falling into greater and greater disrepair. College Point by Victor Lederer

TOP: the College Point Club hosts a patriotic celebration about 1900. Every kid in the neighborhood must have been there!

BOTTOM: the Koenig-Boker House in 1999.

In 2004 the Koenig-Boker House was demolished and multi-family homes more acceptable to Queens developers have been built. Even the street pattern on 120th Street has been changed: the mansion once made 120th Street a dead end, with only Boker Court leading east to another dead end. However even this reminder of the old mansion has been eliminated since 120th Street has now been cut through and continued on to 12th Avenue uninterrupted. There seems to have been no great outcry at its loss.

Beech Court

ABOVE: Beech Court in 2012

The Herman Funke Estate, adjacent to the Koenig-Boker mansion, has fortunately survived as Beech Court, on 121st Street north of 14th Avenue.

The cul-de-sac retains several outstanding
 homes including a Queen Anne classic and an Art Moderne. It is one of two Art Modernes in the area; the other one is on Malba Drive, a couple of miles to the east. The style was introduced at the Paris Exhibition of 1937.

A barn behind one of the Funke Estate houses; and one of two gateposts facing 14th Avenue.

This house on 114th Street near the Poppenhusen Institute that used to be a firehouse.

Victor Lederer in College Point claims that John Angenbroich’s Riverside Hotel is still standing on 119th Street south of Herman McNeil Park. This residence seems like a candidate to have been the old resort. Does the current owner know it used to be a saloon?

Looks like every available piece of real estate on this College Point Blvd. telephone pole has been claimed.

College Point’s answer to the East Village’s Jim Power’s crockery decorations on Poppenhusen Avenue (picture taken in 2004, and the artwork had largely disappeared by 2006).

Special thanks to Tim Vogel and Gail Pickett, who your webmaster met on the #65 bus enroute to College Point.

5/5/06

Categorized in: Neighborhoods Tagged with:

11 Responses to COLLEGE POINT, Queens, Part 2

1. anadiliagiron says:

yo nesecito informacion de college point si es posible en espanol

2. Last year I sent you some photos of college point showing some Trolley Cars. These were from 1937 and older. I see that you have not included them.

• marc says:

Hi Frank,
      I recently entered a building near the water on 15th avenue. To the left of where the India Rubber Company was (currently a bottling company). The small building had very old wood trusses and there were railroad tracks in the floor. Any idea what this building was?

3. J Kingsbury says:

Interesting website. Wondered if you have any knowledge about a shipbuilding company called Sound Shipbuilding that built barges from the 40′s into the 60′s.

4. Andrea Sheridan says:

The photo on the first page ( hot Buffet sign adorns the facade ) at the corner of 14 th and College Point blvd. was my dad’s store, Matty Sheridan in 1955-1958, Matty’s Market, it was across 14 th from Scotty’s luncheonette. My day’s green grocery store had to close when the A&P came to town.

5. GREGORY LEONARDO says:

YOUR CAPTION ABOUT ST FIDELIS-(THE PICTURE OF “GIRLS” ABOVE THE DOOR IS NOT THE ST AGNES HIGH SCHOOL BUT THE ST FIDELIS GRAMMAR SCHOOL, WHICH IS CLOSING THIS MONTH.

6. Charles Berberich says:

In 1915, architect August Namur and his wife Marie built or purchased a house in College Point. They lived there until his death in June 1918. Then Marie Faulke Namur returned to Luxembourg to live with relatives. Can one find the address, a photo, or other info?

7. john aultman says:

Wow! It’s Halloween and did I find a gem of a site that included Angels and no Monsters.
    Born in Brooklyn in 1932 and after two weeks raised in College Point, I have some very vivid memories of this beautiful place where people loved people, even their neighbors.
    Just before I joined the army in 1952, I lived with my grandmother at 121-15-15th ave, which no longer exists, but it was across the street from Krause’s delicatessan which had good stuff. Vesco’s pharmacy was still there in 1982 when I returned for the last time, and Main Street was still a maze of wires of wires and holes.
    The theater pictured on one of the photos, was where I could spend my entire life during my early teens, for 11 cents, I could watch two feature films from the time it opened until it closed.

8. CW Brown says:

As a young couple my wife and I moved to College Point in 1967. Loved the small-town atmosphere. A great place to live. We were members of the First Reformed Church, our son was in Little League, kids went to PS129, wife taught at St. Paul’s School. Made may cherished friends and great neighbors. We left in 1989 but College Point will always have a special place in our hearts.

9. M Romanski says:

This site is really incredible. Also reading through these comments is also very intriguing.

10. john aultman says:

I grew up in College Point from 1933 until I joined the US Army in 1952, and I can’t find any ;pictures of the places that I knew. I went to PS 27, and then PS 29 (no pictures) and I can’t find any recent pictures of122nd st., or older pictures of Flushing Meadows. I read about how beautiful people think that this town is, but they don’t seem to want to photograph it. P.S., how about pictures of Flushing High School?

J.D Aultman
    San Antonio, Tx.
    P.S. I just got my book today ” Images of America, College Point, by Victor Lederer” today and it is really awesome and a true treasure.