WHERE AM I?

title

I thought I’d expand the occasional FNY feature into a ForgottenSlice, with the aid of FNY Correspondent Gary Fonville, who shot and researched these scenes.

1. I witnessed a giant step in transportation in NYC.  I’ve been watching it since October, 1904. Where am I?

2. I reside uptown, near a former circus boss.

3. I am a graceful beauty who has seen hard times. Once, I could hear the el rush nearby.

4. There are few houses left like this in my neighborhood. I’m on a high hill and can see the top of the George Washington Bridge off to the southwest.

5. For decades I lived near a brickmaking plant. Now I live next to a bus depot. George Harrison was interested in me once.

6. I am only visible in winter. I, too, can hear trains nearby. I’m in the same neighborhood where jazz greats lived, once.

10/11/12

Categorized in: Forgotten Slices

49 Responses to WHERE AM I?

1. Camille of Lebanon says:

1) ?

2) ?

3) Myrtle Avenue, Bushwick / Ridgewood

4) Marble Hill / Spuyten Devil

5) ? (I’d REALLY like to know where this one is – no wonder GH was interested!)

6) Corona

2. kevin e. kronenberg says:

Can 6 be seen from the LIRR?

3. Lara says:

#5 is in Staten Island way down on Arthur kill road I think. It is a view of the house from the side and not the front you see from the road driving by.

4. Julius Chan says:

#6. Somewhere in St. Albans?

5. maurice teahan says:

#1 Grand Central Terminal viaduct, NYC subway opens October 27, 1904

6. Doug Douglass says:

5. Kreischer Mansion on Staten Island.

7. Nick says:

1/ is on the manhattan bridge – probably the manhattan end….

2/ ?

3/ ?

4/ my guess is the bronx – up near the community college and hall of fame

5/ my guess is bronx again… in riverdale

6/ is queens: 41st between 19th and berrian

8. andy says:

1. Elevated structure that carries the #1 train across Manhattanville Valley. Looks like corner of Broadway and 132nd St.
    4. Washington Heights, Manhattan (possibly 187th St.)
    6. St. Albans, Queens

9. Mark says:

5- The Kreischer Mansion in Staten Island – near the Outerbridge Crossing

10. Mark says:

6- St. Albans?

11. Connie says:

Just west of the Laurelton station on the LIRR. If not, it has a twin there.

12. Robert says:

6) Hollis ave around 191st?

13. chris says:

I think Connie got it right, 141st rd & 222nd st.

14. Jonathan says:

1. Has to be part of the original Interborough Line, since it has been watching since October 1904, so I’ll say it’s where the #1 train goes above ground.

15. John F. says:

Is #3 somewhere on willoughby ave?

16. Montrose Morris says:

Number three is on the corner of Nostrand and Willoughby Avenues in northern Bedford Stuyvesant, almost across the street from the Home Depot. It currently belongs to a Masonic order, but they barely use it.

17. Chris says:

#2 is at 152 St and St Nicholas place in Harlem near the John Bailey House (at 150th St)

18. chris says:

House #6 is obviously 1313 Mockingbird Lane where TV greats “The Munsters” once lived

19. dave c. says:

#6 is on the outskirts of Hell, right?

20. queensbee says:

i grew up in laurelton and went to the late great andrew jackson hs in st albans. that’s one creepy ole house, but st albans is actually a very old neighborhood withh a great many old creepy houses. it is actually the oldest black neighborhood (of single family houses) in the city, i think.

21. Wirer says:

# 6 is in Lauralton, Queens next to the LIRR tracks on a dead end street. It is covered by trees and over grown bushes except in the winter when you can see it from the train

22. Jeff Rice says:

#1 is one of the tunnel portals leading to the Manhattan Bridge.

23. Carol Drew says:

The clue and style of the house leads me to believe that #6 is in Corona possibility very near Roosevelt Avenue.

24. Carol Drew says:

St. Albans is also a good possibility.

25. Carol Drew says:

Could (#6) this be on Guy Brewer Blvd.(New York Blvd.) near the corner of Liberty Ave. There is a small cemetary nearby and the Jamaica Ave. El would have been within ear shot.

26. Carol Drew says:

Laurelton was not where many of the African American Jazz musicians lived. They lived in St. Albans/Addseigh Park, Hollis and the area just east of Liberty Park in Jamaica. So the clue was a bit misleading. Corona/East Elmhurst (now called North Corona) and the above mention areas are where several African American doctors, lawyers, civil rights activists, actors and musicians lived in during the 1950′s 60′ and into the early 90′s.

• Long Island Ray says:

Carol is correct about Laurelton NOT being where many of the Jazz Greats lived. How do I know – because I lived as a kid in the area from when I was born in the mid-1960s till the mid-1970s (135th Ave & 222nd St – there’s a modern 4 family plain brick house (the kind Kevin W. hates) where the house I used to live in used to be – looking at Bing Aerial, I lived about 8 blocks north of that place!). Lots of civil servents lived there back then, I remember as a kid lots of Germans and Irish…then for some reason (sorry, I know I’m on thin ice here), I recall the initial blacks moving into the area seemed to be Jamaican or West Indies (by their speech/accents – same thing with the school kids at St. Mary Magdalene).
      It was a working/lower middle class area back then, what can I say – only music I remember is when our neighbors played some records at their back-yard parties.

• Carol Drew says:

Not thin ice at all Long Island Ray. Truth is truth. Most African American professionals and “upwardly mobile”/civil servants, during the 1950′s, moved to two areas of New York to escape the “City”. They went to Jamaica/St Albans or Corona/ East Elmhurst. In fact the, two communities mirrored. Many were of Caribbean decent or from the south. Illinois Jacquet , Fatts Waller, Eddie “Lockjaw” Davis, Count Base, James Brown, John Coltrain, Miles Davis, Lena Horn, and Brook Benton were among the more famous residents of the Addesleigh Park section of St. Albans. Jimmy Heath, Cannonball Adderley and his brother Nat Adderley , Ella Fitzgerald (who lived in both areas), Clark Terry, Louis Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Shavers, Frankie Lymon, Honi Coles and, Godfrey Cambridge were among the more famous residents of the Corona East Elmhurst community. It was much later that African Americans began to move further out into Laurelton, Queens Village and Rosedale. And when they did, it cause quite an uproar.

It should be noted that African Americans began migrating to Corona, Queens during the 1920′s. There is a very rich yet mostly untold history of the African American people and their accomplishments in the borough of Queens and in these two communities in particular.

27. dan sciannameo says: