Always have a camera.
Lesson learned at Broadway and West 147th in Hamilton Heights, where the old Bunny Theater has been forver stripped of its rabbits.
The Bunny Theatre at Broadway and West 147th Street recollected early 20th Century comic actor and theatre impresario John Bunny (1863-1915). Bunny appeared in over 100 silents in a little over five years, including a filmed version of Winsor McCay’s “Little Nemo” (1911) and Charles Dickens’ “Pickwick Papers” (1913). Bunny’s exuberant style and 300-lb. girth made him a fan favorite; he was so well-known that many of his pictures billed him in the title.
In the Bunny Theatre’s later years, it was renamed the Nova; sadly, it closed in 2003. That year, it became a 99-cent store, with its marquee removed, but its stone rabbits remained for a time, along with the word “BUNNY” chiseled at the top.
A couple of years later, even those reminders were gone.