From a poster depicting 1970s Manhattan by Tony Graham. There was actually a quiz that came along with it, asking for several obscure locales, such as the Little Statue of Liberty, once on a  rooftop on West 64th near Broadway but now relocated to the Brooklyn Museum parking lot.

I really should research all of it and do a series of posts. Practically nothing shown on the poster remains as is.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Categorized in: One Shots Tagged with:

21 Responses to 70s MANHATTAN

1. D. says:

Oddly, while the old banks (so many!) elicit a small smile, the two Zum Zums say ’70s, and I only ate in one once.

2. PJ Cochran says:

I had one of these in my bedroom as a boy — and I lived nowhere near NYC then. I memorized it. I would kill to get copies of these Tony Graham posters today. Fedora still had one in the vestibule of her bar in Greenwich Village until a few years ago, but when she went, it went.

3. chris says:

I miss Zum Zum! Depicted twice.

4. Marc says:

It was on the rooftop of a storage company right off of Central Park (and not too far from Peter Max’s studio. 70′s NY was INCREDIBLE — then it became NY, INC.

5. Jeff says:

I think they had this by the door at Big Nick’s.

6. Tal Barzilai says:

Looking at that image with the Twin Towers standing tall in it still makes me wonder why they just weren’t rebuilt instead of what’s being planned over at the WTC site.

7. Eric Jablow says:

Perhaps you should do a piece on the Ruckus Manhattan art installation by Red Grooms.

8. RM says:

I just noticed the Fantasticks, geez that goes way back. Wow – Orange Julius, Brentanos, Woolworths, Kleins, frickin MAYS, Village Gate, AZUMA, Balduccis!!! this is depressing.

9. RM says:

one more comment, please. Look at that map up there, now look at the city now. It’s all frickin banks. Two to three on every block in the village. The city lost its soul, how do we get it back?

10. john chino says:

As an ex New Yorker living in California I keep this framed poster in my house and look at it with fond memories.

11. John P. Simonetti says:

Looks like Tony Graham was pretty prolific; he did quite a few “New York” type posters:

• Tim McDermott says:

Hi John, just came across this site and your comment. Tony Graham was my Uncle, not only did he do a lot of these type of posters for New York and he was often commissioned by cities across the country to do the same thing for their city, but his greatest successes were with the ones of New York, probably because of his love for the city. I am fortunate to have many of his works and never get tired of looking at them. Thanks for your kind comment.

• cat says:

Hi Tim
        My Dad bought the Manhattan!!! back when it was first done in the 70s I believe
        It hung on our living room wall forever! I now have it, and my oldest son who is 30 always wanted it, so I got him 1 from ebay.
        He loves it and it is so nostalgic for all of us , Your Uncle was so gifted and you can feel the love he had for NY!

12. Melissa Hinton says:

Yesterday I posted on eBay a tony graham mural of New York City. It is in excellent condition. Check it out if interested