70s MANHATTAN

graham.poster

From a poster depicting 1970s Manhattan by Tony Graham. There was actually a quiz that came along with it, asking for several obscure locales, such as the Little Statue of Liberty, once on a  rooftop on West 64th near Broadway but now relocated to the Brooklyn Museum parking lot.

I really should research all of it and do a series of posts. Practically nothing shown on the poster remains as is.

8/16/13

Categorized in: One Shots Tagged with:

16 Responses to 70s MANHATTAN

1. D. says:

Oddly, while the old banks (so many!) elicit a small smile, the two Zum Zums say ’70s, and I only ate in one once.

2. PJ Cochran says:

I had one of these in my bedroom as a boy — and I lived nowhere near NYC then. I memorized it. I would kill to get copies of these Tony Graham posters today. Fedora still had one in the vestibule of her bar in Greenwich Village until a few years ago, but when she went, it went.

• john chino says:

I have a framed copy that was given to me years ago. I have it hanging now in my laundry room. Look at it weekly and always brings asmile to my face. Is in glass so it is mint condition. Good stuff!

• E says:

I have a great print.Manhatten scape 1980

• Gloria says:

If you are still looking to get hold of one of the original 1970′s posters, I am selling one. Please let me know if you are interested?

3. chris says:

I miss Zum Zum! Depicted twice.

4. Marc says:

It was on the rooftop of a storage company right off of Central Park (and not too far from Peter Max’s studio. 70′s NY was INCREDIBLE — then it became NY, INC.

5. Jeff says:

I think they had this by the door at Big Nick’s.

6. Tal Barzilai says:

Looking at that image with the Twin Towers standing tall in it still makes me wonder why they just weren’t rebuilt instead of what’s being planned over at the WTC site.

7. Eric Jablow says:

Perhaps you should do a piece on the Ruckus Manhattan art installation by Red Grooms.

8. RM says:

I just noticed the Fantasticks, geez that goes way back. Wow – Orange Julius, Brentanos, Woolworths, Kleins, frickin MAYS, Village Gate, AZUMA, Balduccis!!! this is depressing.

9. RM says:

one more comment, please. Look at that map up there, now look at the city now. It’s all frickin banks. Two to three on every block in the village. The city lost its soul, how do we get it back?

10. john chino says:

As an ex New Yorker living in California I keep this framed poster in my house and look at it with fond memories.

11. John P. Simonetti says:

Looks like Tony Graham was pretty prolific; he did quite a few “New York” type posters:

12. Melissa Hinton says:

Yesterday I posted on eBay a tony graham mural of New York City. It is in excellent condition. Check it out if interested