Aymar Embury’s Orchard Beach Bathhouse is marvelously preserved since 1936, when the entire Orchard Beach complex was created in Pelham Bay Park by BYC Parks Commissioner Robert Moses. The new beach comprised 115 acres of previously unused waterfront, and was built in large part by over 4000 laborers under the auspices of the new Works Progress Administration — the largest WPA project to date.
The bathhouse, built in a Modern Classical style, features blue terra cotta tiling and views of Long Island Sound on its upper level.
Also in this shot, note the original 1936 lightpost. Similar lamps are also used on the Riis Park boardwalk in Queens, another WPA project directed by Moses.