As early as 1890, Polish immigrants chose Maspeth in which to settle. In 1921, the Polish National Home (or in Polish, “Polski Dom Narodowy”) was founded in order to teach younger generations about their Polish heritage. This building was erected in 1934 on 56th Road near 64th Street. Members of this organization opened the 1939 World’s Fair, dedicated Maurice Park and participated in the opening of the Kosciuszko Bridge. Maspeth has welcomed a new wave of Polish immigrants over the last decade; storefronts along Grand and Maspeth Avenues reveal that the Polish tongue is the most popular foreign language in town, and Polish food may be the most popular cuisine.