The Bazzini nut empire moved out of the massive 339-343 Greenwich at Jay Street in 2009 after 123 years in Tribeca; it was originally located on Park Place but moved here in 1968. Bazzini’s sold nuts, confections and produce in a combination wholesale and retail market here. Bazzini continues to own the building, but leased its space to Sarabeth’s Restaurant. The nut distributor joined many other comestibles dealers in relocating to Hunt’s Point in the Bronx and later to Allentown, PA. Packaged Bazzini nuts are still a staple in groceries and drugstores. The large Romanesque Revival brick edifice opened as a warehouse in 1900, and it has housed electrics dealers and, of course, dairy suppliers in its long history. Here’s how it looked in 1940, when the 9th Avenue El rattled past.
Bazzini was founded in 1886 by an Italian immigrant, Anthony L. Bazzini. The brand has been sold at Yankee Stadium since the Babe Ruth era. In 2011, a conglomerate was formed by Bazzini and Barton’s Chocolate.