DAILY NEWS BUILDING, Midtown

by Kevin Walsh

THE New York Daily News has been published since 1919. I am no longer a daily reader, but I reveled in its sports section in the 1960s and 1970s, with the likes of Dick Young, Phil Pepe, Red Foley and later on, Mike Lupica and on the political side, Jimmy Breslin and Pete Hamill. The Daily News offices are now at 4 New York Plaza near Battery Park, but the paper occupied this Art Deco tower at 220 East 42nd Street near Grand Central Terminal from 1930 through 1995, designated a NYC Landmark in 1981. It was commissioned by Daily News founder Captain Joseph Patterson and designed by Raymond Hood.

Building interiors were used to substitute for the Daily Planet in the first (and best) Superman movie from 1978. The globe, one of the largest in NYC, is iconic.

Of particular interest (to me at least) is the three-story bas relief showing everyday people and the inscription “He made so many of them.” This is from an unattributed quote by Abraham Lincoln: “God must love the common people, because he made so many of them.” The News began as a tabloid, New York City’s first, and from the beginning was contrasted with the larger and more difficult to read broadsheets, with their multiple columns consisting of nine-point type. Folding such papers while standing on busy commuter trains became a rite of passage for office workers; now, most people read newspapers of choice on small handheld devices like my IPhone, and many newsstands don’t carry newspapers at all!

As always, “comment…as you see fit.” I earn a small payment when you click on any ad on the site.

4/30/22

9 comments

chris April 30, 2022 - 12:06 am

Took a tour of their printing press in 71.The linotype operators made lead type
of our names but they wouldnt work when we got them home cuz you have to use
special ink,not stamp pad ink.A lot of those guys went to Printing Trades high school
to be lithographers.i remember when they switched to the Coloroto process and boy
did that make the funny papers pop out

Aaron April 30, 2022 - 7:56 am

Something I just adore about New York, is, for example, 202 E 42nd St. It houses the “Sandwicherie of New York”. I’m guessing the building is 1890’s or so, but its just tucked in between these massive towers refusing to be razed. Reminds me of Bugs Bunny’s rabbit hole doing the same thing.

Sunnysider April 30, 2022 - 1:39 pm

As a kid in the early 70s my parents used to take me there to see Santa Claus just before Christmas. There was a lavish set of the North Pole complete with elves taking up much of the lobby. The next day, the Daily News printed the names of all the visitors who came that day on a special page which was a big thrill. Ok, it was fine print but still.

Bill Tweeddale April 30, 2022 - 7:12 pm

One of my shop classes at Montauk JHS Brooklyn in 1960 was Printing. We were taught how to take the individual type characters out of the big wooden California Job case and arrange them in the composing tray. Quite labor intensive. Midway through to course the teacher asked if any of our relatives were in the printers union. It turned out that the union was so exclusive than only a relative of a member could join, and he would only write a letter of recommendation if you were eligible. Then came the newspaper strike of 1962 – and the union was broken (and I missed out on all the Xmas tips from my paper route)!

Allan Berlin May 2, 2022 - 11:23 am

Just want to add that the Daily News Bldg has also been the HQ for WPIX TV (channel 11) since 1948.

Bill Tweeddale May 3, 2022 - 12:44 pm

That must be where “Officer” Joe Bolton hosted his Three Stooges and Little Rascals shows from in the 50’s. In the 60’s, WPIX would broadcast a Yule Log burning in glorious “Black & White” on Xmas Eve. I hope it didn’t smoke up the building too much!

Allan Berlin May 5, 2022 - 9:57 am

There was also ‘Captain’ Allen Swift, host of the Popeye Show (1956-1960).

BTW, his real name was Ira Stadlen. His son is comic/character actor Lewis J. Stadlen.

Tal Barzilai May 6, 2022 - 7:25 pm

Does the Daily News still use this building or did they sell all of their office space the day they left for 4 NY Plaza?

Kevin Walsh May 7, 2022 - 9:04 am

They were on W 33 for many years.