Along with Prince Street, which it “becomes” once it crosses 6th Avenue, Charlton Street is a remnant of British rule in NYC; it is named for British physician Dr. John Charlton, who arrived with the British army in 1762, but later sided with US patriots. He treated Chief Justice John Jay.
On the west side of 6th Avenue between Charlton and King Street is perhaps NYC’s smallest public park space, Charlton Plaza. The .04 acre space was created when 6th Avenue was extended south from Carmine Street to Church Street when the IND Subway began construction in 1928. A number of small streets were absorbed into 6th Avenue, and small public plazas were created along the route; Charlton Plaza is one of these.
The City acquired this wedge-shaped small space in 1959 and transferred to the Parks Department in 1965; it acquired its name in 1996.